New Jersey Massage Therapy School Start Up Requirements, the requirements for massage therapy practice and education are overseen by the New Jersey Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy, a section of the Division of Consumer Affairs.
So if you want to open a private massage therapy school in New Jersey.
So you will need to have a 500 hour program that meets the requirements of the Board.
And also, have your school approved by the New Jersey Department of Education, the New Jersey Department of Labor and also, Workforce Development or the New Jersey Commission on Higher Education.
Obtaining a New Jersey School Approval
So if you are opening a private massage therapy school in New Jersey, that does not offer college credit.
So your school is regulated by the Postsecondary Private Career School Unit (PPCSU) in the Office of Career and Technical Education (OCTE) in the New Jersey Department of Education.
The PPSCU works with the New Jersey Department of Labor and also, Workforce Development’s Technical Education Unit (TEU) to evaluate and also, approve private career schools (PCS).
Because the PPSCU is responsible for approving the program, course curriculum, and personal and also, professional credentialing.
The TEU is responsible for approving and also, managing the administrative components of career schools applications and also, operation, such as school records and site visits.
In order to obtain approval, you must submit an application that will review by both agencies.
So the average time from application to approval is six months.
So your application packet must submit by regular mail only.
Each agency has a checklist of documentation they require from you.
The materials requested must send to each agency separately.
Materials Required By The TEU:
- Administrative Requirements for PCS Checklist (which lists all the materials required);
- Application for Initial Private Career School Approval (basic information on school, owner(s) and also, business structure);
- Signed and notarized Statement of Assurances (that information is accurate);
- Non-refundable application fee of $1,150;
- Bank statement or voided check in PCS name;
- Organizational chart outlining the school’s ownership hierarchy;
- Certificate of Authority, Certificate of Incorporation or Good Standing Certificate, or Proof of Registration with a County Clerk’s Office;
- Business Registration Certificate;
- Tuition Performance Bond in the amount of $20,000;
- Current Professional Liability Insurance and Worker’s Compensation Certificate of Insurance;
- Certificate of Occupancy from local municipal authority;
- Current Certificate of Fire Inspection;
- Current Certificate of Health Inspection (if applicable);
- Building lease signed by school owner and landlord or proof of ownership if you own the building;
- Sketch of floor plan;
- School catalogue;
- A copy of your student enrollment agreement;
- Samples of proposed advertising materials;
- New Jersey Eligible Training Provider List (ETPL) Initial Application Packet.
MIST – New Jersey Massage Therapy School Start Up Requirements
Materials Required By The PPSCU:
- Completed Application for Initial Approval;
- Owner(s) and Director(s) Staff Data Forms and resumes;
- Staff Data Forms for all instructors (documenting minimum requirements of high school diploma, higher education program, and also, competence in the subject matter);
- Three (3) letter of reference for all owners and also, directors attesting to their reputation for integrity and also, good business practices;
- Complete curriculum is broken down into clock hours per lesson.
- Your curriculum will need to follow their curriculum checklist and also, include methods for curriculum delivery and evaluation;
- School catalogue;
- Enrollment agreement;
- Sample student transcript;
- Completed Section J form.
After receipt of your application, the TEU and also, the Department of Education will conduct a site visit to verify that
- Your school is clean, well-maintained and also, provides good lighting and ventilation;
- Your school has classrooms arranged for education, has proper storage, and also, safety requirements are met;
- You have appropriate signage;
- Your facility meets fire and also, safety codes;
- Your facility meets all other criteria in New Jersey law.
If your school meets all requirements and also, approve, the approval is good for two years.
Every two years you will need to apply for re-approval.
The cost of the re-approval application is $900.
Requirements of the Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy
In addition to being approved by the New Jersey Commission on Higher Education, the Board requires that you have a 500 hour program.
The 500 hours are to include:
- 90 hours of Anatomy & Physiology;
- Ethics and Law;
- Theory and Practice;
- Massage and Bodywork related electives; and
- 100 hours of Clinical Practice.
No hours may be applied to more than one category.
And also, if you want to open a new private massage therapy school in New Jersey and also, New Jersey Massage Therapy School Start Up Requirements.
So you must offer a 500 hour program that is approved by the Department of Education and also, the Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
Your application fee will be $1,150.
And also, you will require to have liability insurance, worker’s compensation insurance, and also, provide a $20,000 tuition performance bond.
The average time from application to approval is six months.
So your approval is good for two years, after which you will need to apply for re-approval.
The pre-approval application fee is $900.