Texas currently has over 26,000 licensed massage therapists.
The state’s residents are very open to this type of care making it a good place to become a massage therapist.
Information you need to become one is provided below:
Or scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Texas.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
Massage school students need to be at least 18 years old, be of good moral character, and have good temperate habits. A student must receive the appropriate education and pass the requisite exam.
Having a criminal record does not bar a person from obtaining a license unless the Board determines that the offense has a direct bearing on the applicant’s ability to serve as a massage therapist or if the person is not sufficiently rehabilitated.
A student is advised to submit a criminal history evaluation before course work is begun to ensure a person will qualify.
So how long are massage therapy programs in Texas? How much does massage therapy school cost? How long is massage therapy training? Let’s explore the answers as you read below.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
How long does massage therapy school take? You must have 500 classroom hours of education received from one or more providing a competency based curriculum.
Course of instruction must include Anatomy and Physiology, Message Technique, Health and Hygiene, Business practices and Ethics, Hydrotherapy, Kinesiology and Pathology. No more than 50 hours of internship may be acquired before a license is obtained
You must have a passing score on The Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards or the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCETMB). The Board requires you to continue with your education after licensing and obtain 12 continuing education (CE) credits per 2 years.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
There are many message therapy licensing schools in Texas. Here is a full list of schools. And here are a few examples:
- Dallas Campus: 1055 S. Sherman St., Suite 100 Richardson, TX 75081 888-225-4214
- Houston Campus: 13163 Northwest Freeway, Suite A Houston, TX 77040 855-425-1585
- South Texas Vocational Technical Institute
- Austin: 2144 Central Blvd Brownsville, TX 78520 888-822-4046
- Oceans School
- Lubbock: 12420 Quaker Lubbock, TX (806) 722-3300
- Academy for Massage Therapy Training
- San Antonio: 602 N.W. Loop 410 Suite 122 San Antonio, Texas 78216
You can get your massage training from any of the schools above, or use our database below to search for one near you.
How long is massage therapy school? This will depend on the school you select. However, most massage therapy schools in Texas provide enough credits to become licensed and practice as a professional upon graduation.
To receive a license you are required to:
- Submit an official transcript from an acceptable school.
- Complete a 50 hour internship.
- Complete and pass The Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards or the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCETMB).
- Submit an application fee 0f $107
You can find Forms for massage therapy here.
Key Agencies / Boards involved and their Contact Information
Massage licensing is controlled by the Department of State Health Services of Texas. For more information you can reach them at 800-436-6184 or their website.
You can also look at the Texas center for massage therapy site which contains helpful reference information. The Texas center for massage therapy is one of the larger massage institutions in the State.
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Texas (Massage Establishment License)
To establish a massage business, you must follow these rules:
- All advertising must display the massage establishment’s license number.
- Maintain a list of all current employees and employees of the previous 2 years along with their qualification information.
- Maintain consultation documents for each client.
- Pass the jurisprudence exam.
Massage License Renewal Process
Licenses must be renewed every two years, and 12 continuing education hours must be completed. You must keep a record of your continuing education classes in case of an audit. Approved courses are listed by the department of health at this page.
It costs $106 to renew your license and it can be done online here. A renewal reminder mail is also sent by the board 2 months before the renewal date.
Renewals are due by the last day of your birth month. After this date they are considered late and the fee is $156 until the 90th late day. After that point the cost is $206 until it is a year late. After a year, you’ll be required to submit for a new license rather than a renewal.
Massage License Reciprocity
The following is the procedure if an applicant is licensed in a different state.
1. Submit license application with a copy of Social Security card.
2. Copy of transcript from out of state massage therapist school
3. Copy of license from current state
4. Proof of passing a national or state qualifying exam.
5. Proof of passing the Jurisprudence Exam.
6. Completed Out of State License Verification Form.
You cannot have an expired license on hand when you apply for reciprocity. Make sure your license is active and in good standing before you apply for a transfer.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
We know that you want to learn more than just the basics, so we do things a little differently. Our focus is on you—the student—as a whole. At CMSM you will learn valuable business, life, and communication skills which set you apart from other massage therapists—skills that prepare you to achieve success both professionally and personally.
- Massage Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- AAS - Occupational Therapy Assistant
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma