[qs_widget wtpl=”onestep” sub=”MASSAGE-THERAPY” framewidth=”600″ frameheight=”120″]
Firstly, Texas currently has over 26,000 licensed massage therapists.
And also, the state’s residents are very open to this type of care making it a good place to become a massage therapist.
The information you need to become one is provided below:
Or scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Texas.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
Massage school students need to be at least 18 years old, be of a good moral character, and also, have good temperate habits.
Furthermore, a student must receive the appropriate education and also, pass the requisite exam.
So having a criminal record does not bar a person from obtaining a license unless the Board determines.
That the offence has a direct bearing on the applicant’s ability to serve as a massage therapist or if the person is not sufficiently rehabilitated.
And also, a student is advised to submit a criminal history evaluation before coursework is begun to ensure a person will qualify.
So how long are massage therapy programs in Texas?
How much does massage therapy school cost?
How long is massage therapy training?
Let’s explore the answers as you read below.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
How long does massage therapy school take?
And also, you must have 500 classroom hours of education received from one or more providing a competency-based curriculum.
Therefore, a course of instruction must include Anatomy and Physiology, Message Technique, Health and Hygiene, Business Practices and also, Ethics, Hydrotherapy, Kinesiology and Pathology.
So no more than 50 hours of internship may be acquired before a license is obtained
And also, you must have a passing score on The Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards or the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCETMB).
However, the Board requires you to continue your education after licensing and also, obtain 12 continuing education (CE) credits per 2 years.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
There are many massage therapy licensing schools in Texas.
Here is a full list of schools.
And here are a few examples:
- Dallas Campus: 1055 S. Sherman St., Suite 100 Richardson, TX 75081 888-225-4214
- Houston Campus: 13163 Northwest Freeway, Suite A Houston, TX 77040 855-425-1585
- South Texas Vocational Technical Institute
- Austin: 2144 Central Blvd Brownsville, TX 78520 888-822-4046
- Oceans School
- Lubbock: 12420 Quaker Lubbock, TX (806) 722-3300
- Academy for Massage Therapy Training
- San Antonio: 602 N.W. Loop 410 Suite 122 San Antonio, Texas 78216
You can get your massage training from any of the schools above, or use our database below to search for one near you.
How long is massage therapy school?
This will depend on the school you select.
However, most massage therapy schools in Texas provide enough credits to become licensed and also, practice as a professional upon graduation.
To receive a license you are required to:
- Furthermore, submit an official transcript from an acceptable school.
- And also, complete a 50 hour internship.
- So complete and pass The Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards or the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCETMB).
- Submit an application fee 0f $107
So you can find Forms for massage therapy here.
Key Agencies / Boards involved and their Contact Information
Massage licensing is controlled by the Department of State Health Services of Texas.
For more information, you can reach them at 800-436-6184 or their website.
And also, you can look at the Texas centre for massage therapy site which contains helpful reference information.
Mostly, the Texas centre for massage therapy is one of the larger massage institutions in the State.
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Texas (Massage Establishment License)
To establish a massage business, you must follow these rules:
- And also, all advertising must display the massage establishment’s license number.
- And also, maintain a list of all current employees and employees of the previous 2 years along with their qualification information.
- Maintain consultation documents for each client.
- Pass the jurisprudence exam.
Massage License Renewal Process
Licenses must be renewed every two years, and 12 continuing education hours must be completed.
And also, you must keep a record of your continuing education classes in case of an audit.
Approved courses are listed by the department of health at this page.
Because it costs $106 to renew your license and also, it can be done online here.
And also, a renewal reminder mail is also sent by the board 2 months before the renewal date.
So renewals are due by the last day of your birth month.
After this date, they are considered late and the fee is $156 until the 90th late day.
So that point the cost is $206 until it is a year late.
After a year, you’ll be required to submit for a new license rather than a renewal.
Massage License Reciprocity
- 1. Furthermore, submit license application with a copy of Social Security card.
- 2. So copy of transcript from out of state massage therapist school
- 3. Copy of license from current state
- 4. And also, proof of passing a national or state qualifying exam.
- 5. So the proof of passing the Jurisprudence Exam.
- 6. Completed Out of State License Verification Form.
Make sure your license is active and in good standing before you apply for a transfer.
Note: Specific personal information, office addresses, fees, payments etc.
So may change over time.
Although we do our best to keep this site up to date.
So please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you.
And also, we have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE.
Lastly, please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
[qs_listing areaofinterest=”MASSAGE-THERAPY” iptogeo=”true”]