South Carolina has one of the lowest requirements for number of hours to acquire your massage therapy license; however, their application fee is high compared to some other states.
Continuing education requirements and renewal fees in South Carolina are among the lowest in the US. In this article, we will be discussing the main highlights as they apply to massage therapy within the state of South Carolina.
If you would like to find out more information about the rules and regulations here, you may email the South Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy at email@example.com.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in South Carolina.
Brief Summary of The Main Highlights
In the state of South Carolina, you must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a massage therapy license and to work freely here.
Additionally, the South Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy requires that you attend an approved school of massage and pass a qualifying exam.
After these requirements have been met, you must then submit your application for licensure along with the associated fee for approval by the board.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
As for the schooling details and requirements towards credited massage therapy hours, you must complete 500 hours worth of massage therapy school. The South Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy must approve the school that you wish to attend.
Additionally, you must pass the National Certification Examination or the Federation of States Examination for Massage Therapy. Any examination other than the National Certification Examination or the Federation of States Examination must have prior board approval.
Once you have completed the proper schooling and examinations, you must submit your application with the requested information and fee.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
The South Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy must approve the school to which you hope to attend. Below is a partial list of approved schools in the state of South Carolina:
- Technical College of the Lowcountry, 921 Ribaut Road, Beaufort, SC 29901, 843-525-8211
- South Carolina Massage & Esthetics Institute, Landmark Plaza, Sheridan Park, 25 Sherington Dr. #C, Bluffton, SC 29910, 843-815-4884
- Trident Technical College, Charleston, SC 29423, 877-349-7184
- Spartanburg Community College, Tyger River Campus, 1875 East Main St. Hwy 290, Duncan, SC 29334, 864-592-6100, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Florence-Darlington Technical College, 2715 W. Lucas Street, Florence, SC 29502, 800-228-5745
- Spartanburg Community College, Cherokee County Campus, 523 Chesnee Hwy 11, Gaffney, SC 29341, Email: email@example.com, 864-206-2700
- Greenville Technical College, Greenville, SC 29606, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, 864-250-8000
- Midlands Technical College, 7300 College Street, Irmo, SC 29063, Email: email@example.com, 803-732-5218
- South Carolina Massage & Esthetics Institute, 4720-B Hwy 17 Bypass, South Myrtle Beach, SC 29588, 843-293-2225
- Spartanburg Community College, I-85 Business @ New Cut Road, Spartanburg, SC 29303, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, 864-592-4800
- South Carolina Massage & Esthetics Institute, 1905 Sunset Blvd., West Columbia, SC 29169, 803-939-9600
The South Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy requires that after you have completed the necessary schooling and examinations, that you then submit a completed application for approval.
You can access all of the online application forms by clicking here. The cost to submit your application is $150 and there are specific documents that must be included. Be sure to follow all directions carefully, so as not to omit any important information or documents.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
The South Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy is the most important massage therapy governing organization in the state of South Carolina. The following is the information that you may need to contact the board:
South Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy
Kingstree Building, 110 Center View, Columbia SC 29210
P.O. Box 11329, Columbia, SC 29210-1329, Phone: (803) 896-4490 and Fax: (803) 896-4484. EMAIL: South Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy
SC Dept. of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, Office of Board Services Massage/Bodywork Therapy
110 Centerview Drive, P.O. Box 11329, Columbia, South Carolina 29211-1329, Phone: (803) 896-4588, Email: InformationRequest@llr.sc.gov
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in South Carolina (Massage Establishment License)
Only those who hold a massage therapy license in the state of South Carolina can practice massage. With that said, you must obtain your license and be properly certified in order to open a massage business in South Carolina.
As you pursue your massage business in South Carolina, be sure that you understand some of the very important rules and guidelines associated with the industry. For example, massage therapists may not diagnose or treat disease and may not practice spinal or joint manipulation or prescribe medications.
Additionally, the state of South Carolina requires that you include table coverings during massage therapy sessions or services and these must be changed after each person. Lastly, your massage business must provide clean drapes for each patient for proper coverage and cleanliness.
Massage License Renewal Process
Your massage therapy license must be renewed the following renewal cycle. Licenses, in the state of South Carolina, are renewed every two years at which time 12 hours of continuing education must be completed. However, these continuing education hours are waived for you during the first renewal period.
Massage License Reciprocity
If you hold a massage therapy license in another state, you can easily become licensed in South Carolina. However, the requirements for licensure in that state must be at least equal or greater than South Carolina requirements.
In this, reciprocity could be granted to you. But if you were to take a state exam instead of the National Certification Exam or the Federation of State Exam, then the South Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy panel would need to review your exam and ensure that your education meets the requirements that are set for the state of South Carolina.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
We know that you want to learn more than just the basics, so we do things a little differently. Our focus is on you—the student—as a whole. At CMSM you will learn valuable business, life, and communication skills which set you apart from other massage therapists—skills that prepare you to achieve success both professionally and personally.
- Massage Therapy
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- AAS - Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma