Firstly, as you seek to obtain your massage therapy license in the state of Hawaii.
So be sure to review the rules and regulations set by the Hawaii Massage Therapy Board under the Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs.
Because these particular guidelines can be found on the website, which you can discover by clicking here.
Successfully completing all required schooling, exams and licensure requirements will aid in launching you further into your massage therapy career.
So scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Hawaii.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
There are a total of 7,036 massage therapists working in the state of Hawaii.
As an aspiring massage therapist, you too can become a part of this number.
As you embark on your journey towards a massage therapy license.
And also, you might find it helpful to attend one of the sixteen institutions that offer the necessary education and required course study hours.
So if you already hold a license in this industry.
So then you can renew your license for a fee of $120 after the 2-year renewal time frame is up.
As required by the Hawaii Massage Therapy Board, any renewals should be completed before the 30th of June in the year the renewal is due.
Which is typically an even-numbered year.
And also, the initial cost of a license to start a massage therapy business in the state of Hawaii is only $50.
After obtaining the licensure, you are then titled as the Apprentice Massage Therapist or MT for short.
As soon as you graduate from the school of your choice.
In order to qualify for the establishment of your massage therapy business, you must first pass the necessary exams.
These exams include the NCETM/TMB and/or the MBLEx.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
In order to become a successful massage therapist, you will need to pass the nationally recognized NCETM/TMB and/or the MBLEx exams.
In order to receive your massage therapy license, it is required that you receive 570 hours of mandatory training alongside your education.
As required by the Hawaii Massage Therapy Board.
However, it is now mandatory for you to pass the state massage test in order to receive your massage therapy license.
So the national level exams (NCETM/TB and the MBLEx) are not considered enough for you to be eligible for practising in the state of Hawaii.
The newly made state test consists of:
- Laws and rules 10%
- Anatomy 50%
- Massage theory 15%
- Clinical situation 25%
For more information on the Hawaii state massage test please take the time to review it by clicking here.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
There are sixteen massage schools in the state of Hawaii.
So below is a list of some of the top schools for you to consider for your future massage therapy education:
- Hawaii School of Professional Massage Pearl Kai Shopping Center, Aiea 98-199 Kamehameha Hwy #B5 Alea, HI 96701 (808)485.2808
- Spa Luna Holistic School 810Haiku Road #209 Haiku, HI 96708 (800)347.6449
- Big Island Academy of Massage 211 Kino’ole Street Hilo, HI 96720 (808)935.1405
- Aisen Shiatsu School Interstate Building 1314 South Kin Street Honolulu, HI 96814 (808)596.7354
If you would like to find out more information regarding these schools.
So please feel free to follow this link here.
In order for you to receive your massage therapy license or certification.
And also, you will be required to meet the following requirements:
- A minimum training of 570 hours.
- In addition to NCETM/TMB or MBLEx, you must also pass the Hawaii state massage test.
- Present a CPR certificate issued by the American Heart Association.
- The required 570 hours of education and training must include the following:
- 50 hours of in-class course work on human anatomy.
- 100 hours of class work regarding general office skills.
- 420 hours of hands on experience with massage related activities.
Key Agencies / Boards involved and their contact information
Furthermore, the primary organization involved in regulating massage rules and guidelines in the state of Hawaii is the Department of Commerce & Consumer Affairs.
And also known as the Hawaii Massage Therapy Board. If you would like to speak to a board representative, you can contact them at the following:
Physical address: King Kalakaua Building 335 Merchant Street, Rm.
301 Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Mailing address: DCCA-PVL P.O. Box 3469 Honolulu, HI 96801
Phone: (808) 586-2694
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Hawaii (Massage Establishment License)
If you want to start a massage business in Hawaii then you will be required to follow these simple steps as explained by the Hawaii Massage Therapy Board:
- You will be required to submit a completed application form.
- A non-refundable application fee of $50.
- You will be required to present the original transcripts that you received from the school of which you attend.
- CPR card issued by the American Heart Association.
- Details of all courses and training performed.
- Your Social Security Number.
The Hawaii Message Therapy Board will verify the transcripts and institute to ensure that the Hawaii Massage Therapy Board recognizes them.
Please be fully aware that the Hawaii Massage Therapy Board does not accept any online courses.
Massage License Renewal Process
In order to renew your massage therapy license, you are required to submit the following:
- A completed application form.
- Application fee of $120.
- The renewal license is good for 2-years from submission.
- And also, you are now required to renew your massage therapy license by the 30th of June of every even numbered year.
- A renewal request will be mailed by the Hawaii Massage Therapy Board to the mailing address you have on file within 120 days before the renewal.
- And also, you will have to pay a fine of $35 if the renewal is completed after the due date.
Massage License Reciprocity
For endorsement, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Submission of application or massage therapy license.
- Have possession of a high school or graduate equivalent diploma.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc.
<ay change over time.
Although we do our best to keep this site up to date.
So please ensure you contact the Hawaii state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you.
And also, we have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE.
Lastly, please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Advanced Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapy
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
- Massage Therapy/Therapist
- Massage Therapy
- Esthetician / Massage Therapy
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Nursing Field
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future
- Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!