Do you want to attend massage schools in Florida? Read this comprehensive article to get started.
The state of Florida is a very desirable place to work as a massage therapist. You can enjoy the warm weather alongside the blossoming and continuous tourist seasons year-round. Many spas, hotels and attractions geared towards the rich and famous are located in this “Sunny State of the United States”.
There are many massage therapists working in this state. In this article, you will find overview of the massage industry in the state of Florida.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Florida.
Massage Schools in Florida – Brief Summary
All massage therapy establishments and professionals operate under the Florida Board of Massage Therapy.
This agency is a part of the Florida Department of Health who regulates, creates rules and oversees all practices of the massage industry.
The board has passed many laws and regulations, including terms and conditions regarding the massage workforce and other similar fields.
There are approximately 28,000 registered massage practitioners working in the state of Florida.
In order to apply for a massage license the applicant is required to pass the National Certificate Examination for Massage. The Florida Board of Massage Therapy requires you to renew your license every two years along with an associated fee.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
There are 80 noteworthy massage schools in Florida. You must be 18 to be eligible for acquiring a license and pursuing your massage therapy education.
Additionally, you must either pass the Massage Certificate Program with a minimum of 500 working and training hours, or complete an Apprenticeship Training Program, which can last up to 12 months in the state of Florida.
Aside from this you must also pass a two-hour medical errors course. Needless to say, the requirements in the state of Florida are stringent and require much attention on the applicant’s part.
Qualifying Massage Schools in Florida
The following are some of the top quality massage schools in Florida that you can attend in the state of Florida, along with contact information:
- Barbara Brennan School of Healing 500 NE Spanish River Blvd. #208 Boca Raton, FL 33431 (800)924.2564
- Boca Beauty Academy 7820 Glades Rd. Boca Raton, FL 33434 (561)487.1191
- International Institute for Health Care Professionals 600 South Dixie Hwy #211 Boca Raton, FL 33432 (561)394.5822
- Bonita Springs School of Massage and Cosmetology 10915 Bonita Beach Road SE #2111 Bonita Springs, FL 34135 (239)495.0714
The above is not a comprehensive list of massage schools in Florida. For detailed information about the schools and the training departments you can follow the link by clicking here.
In order to become a registered massage practitioner in the state of Florida, you need to complete the certificate requirements that are recognized by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards.
Also understand that the state of Florida also accepts the Advance Exam that should be passed by the applicant with a minimum of 250 hours post graduation hands on massage therapy experience.
In addition to all this, the state of Florida also requires you to fulfill the following requirements:
- Graduation from recognized and approved massage schools in Florida.
- Complete a Florida State Massage application.
- Completion of the following courses:
- Two hours from taking the medical error course.
- HIV course comprising of 3 hours.
- Laws and rules of the state; 10 hours form an accredited massage schools in Florida.
- A complete criminal record background check.
- Passing either of NCETM/NCETMB or MBLEx.
You can keep a tab on your application status online at this link.
Key Agencies / Boards involved and their contact information
The organization associated with regulating all massage therapy rules in the state is the Florida Department of Health Medical Quality Assurance Board of Massage Therapy. The physical and the mailing address are as follows:
- Physical: Tallahassee, Florida 32399 Phone: 850-245-4161 Fax: 850-921-6184
- Mailing: Department of Health Payment Management PO Box 6330 Tallahassee, FL 32314
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Florida (Massage Establishment License)
In order to start a massage business in the state of Florida, you must first complete and file an application. You can find the PDF version of the form here.
You will need to include all of the requested information in order for your application to be processed successfully. Also be aware that your application will be screened for any falsely provided information.
It is advisable to provide only true and acceptable information when submitting your application. Any false information will cause your application to be terminated. The total application fee is $255, which includes the following:
- $150 application fee,
- $ 100 License fee,
- Unlicensed activity fee is $5.
The Florida Board of Massage Therapy also requires proof of insurance. This insurance must be in the original business owner’s name, and this individual can only receive the massage therapy license and associated benefits.
Massage License Renewal Process
The Florida Department of Health sends out a letter of notice 90 days before your massage therapy license expires. You can submit your renewal application online if your business meets the following criteria:
- Does not change the license status.
- Credit or debit card is available to complete the transaction.
- License is not military active.
- The license has not been revoked and is under active status.
If the license has been renewed before the expiration date, then the total fee will be $105. But if done after the renewal date, the fee charged is $180, which includes extra levied charges.
The Florida Board of Massage Therapy will cancel your license if it is not renewed within 6 months of the expiration date.
Massage License Reciprocity
For endorsement you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be of 18 years of age.
- Submit application or license.
- Have passed the high school or graduate equivalent diploma.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage schools in Florida near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Respiratory Therapy
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling