The state of Florida is a very desirable place to work as a massage therapist. Here you can enjoy the warm weather alongside the blossoming and continuous tourist seasons year-round. Many spas, hotels and attractions geared towards the rich and famous are located right here in the “Sunny State of the United States”.
Be sure, however, to meet and exceed the requirements that are set for any and all massage therapists working in this state. In this article, we will be offering an overview of information regarding the industry as a whole for the state of Florida.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Florida.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
In the state of Florida, all massage therapy establishments and professionals operate under the Florida Board of Massage Therapy. This particular board is a part of the Florida Department of Health and regulates, creates rules and oversees all practices regarding the massage industry in the state. This particular board has set out to pass many laws and regulations, including terms and conditions regarding the massage workforce and other similar therapies.
It is also to be noted that there are approximately 28,000 registered massage practitioners working in the state of Florida that provide massage therapy services to the general public. In order to apply for a massage license the applicant is required to pass the National Certificate Examination for Massage. It is also worth mentioning that the Florida Board of Massage Therapy requires you to renew your license every two years along with an associated fee.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
The state of Florida is the home to nearly 80 noteworthy massage schools. In order to be eligible for acquiring a license and pursuing your massage therapy education, you must be of at least 18 years of age. Additionally, you must either pass the Massage Certificate Program with a minimum of 500 working and training hours, or complete an Apprenticeship Training Program, which can last up to 12 months in the state of Florida.
Aside from this you must also pass a two-hour medical errors course. Needless to say, the requirements in the state of Florida are stringent and require much attention on the applicant’s part.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
The following are some of the top quality schools that you can attend in the state of Florida, along with contact information:
- Barbara Brennan School of Healing 500 NE Spanish River Blvd. #208 Boca Raton, FL 33431 (800)924.2564
- Boca Beauty Academy 7820 Glades Rd. Boca Raton, FL 33434 (561)487.1191
- International Institute for Health Care Professionals 600 South Dixie Hwy #211 Boca Raton, FL 33432 (561)394.5822
- Bonita Springs School of Massage and Cosmetology 10915 Bonita Beach Road SE #2111 Bonita Springs, FL 34135 (239)495.0714
For detailed information about the schools and the training departments you can follow the link by clicking here.
In order to become a registered massage practitioner in the state of Florida, you need to complete the certificate requirements that are recognized by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards. Also understand that the state of Florida also accepts the Advance Exam that should be passed by the applicant with a minimum of 250 hours post graduation hands on massage therapy experience.
In addition to all this, the state of Florida also requires you to fulfill the following requirements:
- Graduation from a recognized and approved school in the state of Florida.
- Complete a Florida State Massage application.
- Completion of the following courses:
- Two hours from taking the medical error course.
- HIV course comprising of 3 hours.
- Laws and rules of the state; 10 hours form an accredited school.
- A complete criminal record background check.
- Passing either of NCETM/NCETMB or MBLEx.
You can keep a tab on your application status online at this link.
Key Agencies / Boards involved and their contact information
The organization associated with regulating all massage therapy rules in the state is the Florida Department of Health Medical Quality Assurance Board of Massage Therapy. The physical and the mailing address are as follows:
- Physical: Tallahassee, Florida 32399 Phone: 850-245-4161 Fax: 850-921-6184
- Mailing: Department of Health Payment Management PO Box 6330 Tallahassee, FL 32314
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Florida (Massage Establishment License)
In order to start a massage business in the state of Florida, you must first complete and file an application. You can find the PDF version of the form here. You will need to include all of the requested information in order for your application to be processed successfully. Also be aware that your application will be screened for any falsely provided information.
It is advisable to provide only true and acceptable information when submitting your application. Any false information will cause your application to be terminated. The total application fee is $255, which includes the following:
- $150 application fee,
- $ 100 License fee,
- Unlicensed activity fee is $5.
The Florida Board of Massage Therapy also requires proof of insurance. This insurance must be in the original business owner’s name, and this individual can only receive the massage therapy license and associated benefits.
Massage License Renewal Process
Ninety days before your massage therapy license expires, the Florida Department of Health sends out a letter of notice. You can submit your renewal application online if your business meets the following criteria:
- Does not change the license status.
- Credit or debit card is available to complete the transaction.
- License is not military active.
- If the license has not been revoked and is under active status.
If the license has been renewed before the expiration date, then the total fee will be $105. If done after the renewal date, the fee charged is $180, which includes extra levied charges. Also understand that if your license is not renewed within 6 months of the expiration date, then the Florida Board of Massage Therapy will cancel it all together.
Massage License Reciprocity
For endorsement you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be of 18 years of age.
- Submit application or license.
- Have passed the high school or graduate equivalent diploma.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Respiratory Therapy
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...