Running a Massage Therapy School in Maine, the requirements for massage therapy practice and education are overseen by the Office of Professional and Occupational Licensing, Massage Therapy Program.
And also, if you want to open a new massage therapy school in Maine and running a Massage Therapy School in Maine.
So your school must license by the Department of Education.
And also, you may also request approval from the Maine Massage Therapy Program to be placed on their list of approved schools.
This expedites approval of your students’ education when they apply for a Maine massage therapy license.
Obtaining a License from the Maine Department of Education
Your application for a proprietary school license from Maine requires a fee of $100 and also, a $20,000 surety bond.
In addition, you will require providing:
- Fire and local code enforcement inspection certificate;
- Financial statements;
- Any accreditations you have;
- A school calendar showing enrollment dates and also, normal school terms;
- Your school curriculum;
- A copy of each form used for student records;
- Admission requirements;
- Graduation requirements;
- Attendance policy;
- Standards of progress (grading, academic probation, readmission);
- Qualifications of instructors;
- Total costs;
- Refund policy.
Maine Department of Education
To approve, your school must meet the standards listed on the Maine Department of Education website, such as:
- There must be an administrative officer supervising the school.
- Instructors should be qualified to teach subjects.
- You must provide an enrollment agreement to each student with information on name and length, of course, name and also, credentials of instructors, tuition and also, other costs, and methods of payment.
- It must also include information on the approximate beginning and end dates and also, refund policies.
- Tuition, fees and other charges must be included in the school’s application for license and in enrollment applications or agreements.
- You may not charge students for anything not included in your application.
- Your registration fee cannot be more than 15% of the total tuition or $150, whichever is less.
- You must have an established refund policy.
- Students must be able to cancel within 3 days of signing the agreement and get all money refunded.
- If you reject a student application, you may not retain more than $25 of the application fee.
- Money paid for any time beyond the current school year must refund in full
- Refunds must make within 30 days.
- School records must make available to state inspectors.
- Students records must be available to the student.
- Academic records must retain separately from financial records.
- So if the school closes, records must send to the state commissioner.
- Advertising must not be misleading.
- Because they must not misrepresent the program offered or guarantee employment after graduation.
All initial applications will require that the school facility is inspected by the department.
Licenses are valid for one year and the annual renewal fee is $50.
Obtaining Approval from the Massage Therapy Program
To have a program approved by the Massage Therapy Program, you must offer a minimum of 500 hours of supervised instruction.
Your curriculum must include:
- 120 hours of anatomy, physiology and also, pathology;
- 100 hours of supervised, hands-on practice;
- In-class instruction on massage therapy theory, technique and also, practice;
- In-class instruction on contraindications, benefits, universal precautions, body mechanics, business, history, ethics, legalities of massage, and professional standards regarding draping and also, modesty.
- CPR and First Aid may not include in your 500 hours.
Your instructors must be adequately qualified.
So your massage instructors must license by the Massage Program and instructors in other topics must be able to demonstrate an applicable academic degree, state license, or another credential.
And also, your school must also appropriately license by the Department of Education or demonstrate why you should be exempt from licensing.
Your application packet includes
- A 4-page Request for Approval form with your contact information, school background and history, faculty information, credentialing history, and disciplinary history;
- A 2-page Core Curriculum form demonstrating you meet their requirements;
- A copy of your school catalogue or curriculum demonstrating you meet their requirements;
- A detailed biography or curriculum vitae for each faculty member;
- And also, a copy of your current certificate from the Department of Education.
If you want to open a massage therapy school in Maine and running a Massage Therapy School in Maine.
So you must have it approved as a proprietary school by the Maine Department of Education.
The cost is $100.
A surety bond is also required.
You may also get your school approved by the Maine Massage Program.
There is no cost.
You must demonstrate to the Massage Program that your curriculum and faculty meet their standards.
Maine Massage Program Approval Application
Running a Massage Therapy School in Maine
Leave a Reply