[qs_widget wtpl=”onestep” sub=”MASSAGE-THERAPY” framewidth=”600″ frameheight=”120″]
First of all, the state of Maine is the most upper location of the United States.
So here, the Canadian and New England influence is very prominent, making it an experience worth having.
Living in Maine and working as a massage therapist is something you will definitely enjoy.
Here nearly 2,500 individuals are licensed and work as massage therapists.
Because this article will help explain how you too can become a part of this growing and also, budding industry here in the cool climate of Maine.
So scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Maine.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
And also, Maine requires several steps to be taken prior to becoming licensed as a massage therapist.
So you must complete a full curriculum of education hours, apply to the Massage Board and meet certain licensing requirements.
And also, continue reading this article to receive more in-depth information regarding the application and licensing process.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
Because the state of Maine requires that you obtain at least 500 hours to meet the educational component to obtaining your massage therapy license.
And also, the following is the breakdown of the total 500-hour curriculum:
- 120 hours of Human Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology
- Massage Therapy Theory, Technique, and also, Practice.
- Because this should include Gliding Strokes, Kneading, Direct Pressure, Deep Friction, Percussion, Vibration, Rocking, etc.
- So a minimum of 100 hours in hands-on practice
- And also, you must obtain a First Aid/CPR certification and will not count towards the 500 minimum curriculum hours
- Be able to demonstrate that you completed the core curriculum
In addition to the 500-hour curriculum requirement.
So you must also receive a passing score on the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork or the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
So there are several approved massage therapy schools that provide the required curriculum for your massage therapy license.
Because the following is a list of these schools and programs along with their contact information.
Kennebec Valley Community College
92 Western Avenue
Fairfield, ME 04937
Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health
P.O. Box 703
Fairfield, ME 01240
Intercoast Career Institute
207 Gannett Drive #1
S. Portland, ME 04106
Namaste Institute for Holistic Studies
328 Main Street #201
Rockland, ME 04841
Seacoast Career School
1 Eagle Drive
Sanford, ME 04073
Spa Tech Institute
100 Larrabee Road
In order to become a licensed massage therapist in the state of Maine.
And also, you will need to fully complete the application and the application process.
In addition to your application you will also be asked to submit the following documentation:
- A background check.
- And also, a copy of your high school diploma or an equivalent GED certificate.
- So proof that you took and completed a 500-hour massage therapy classroom and also, clinical program.
- Transcripts must be requested from the school that you attended and also, sent directly to the Board.
- So to receive a passing score on the nationally recognized massage therapy exam and provide proof of your score.
- And also, provide a copy of your current First Aid/CPR certificate.
- Submit a 3”x5” current photo of yourself. This photo must be signed and dated.
- And also, aA $86 license fee paid by check to the “Maine State Treasurer”.
- And also, this fee is nonrefundable and encompasses the following fees:
- $25 application fee
- $40 initial license fee
- $21 background check fee
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
The State of Maine Massage Therapist Board is the primary Board that oversees and also, governs the licensing process for all who choose to become a massage therapist in the state of Maine.
And also, if you would like to contact the Board for any reason.
So please refer to the following contact information:
Department of Professional & Financial Regulation
Division of Licensing & Enforcement
35 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Maine (Massage Establishment License)
And also, starting your massage business in Maine takes a lot of initiative and hard work.
The state requires you to take several actions, which include some of the following factors:
- And also, choosing the right business structure
- Writing your business plan
- Creating and registering your business
- Naming your business
- Obtaining tax information and also, an ID number
- So checking zoning requirements
- Obtaining a business license
Massage License Renewal Process
As well as, the Board has moved toward technological advancements, paper renewal reminders will no longer be mailed out.
However, be on the lookout for an email reminder, which makes it very important to keep your contact information on file up to date.
And also, to renew your massage license, you will need to do so online at the following link.
So after you submit your application, you will be asked to submit a $40 License Fee.
So if your renewal is late, then a surcharge of $50 will be applied.
And also, all renewals will be due annually on the anniversary of the day you obtained your original license.
Massage License Reciprocity
And also, the state of Maine does allow licensure by endorsement, or reciprocity.
However, you must meet all of the state’s requirements, including educational, exams and licensing requirements.
So providing verification of the licenses you hold or held in other states must also be submitted to the Board for consideration.
Note: Specific personal information, office addresses, fees, payments etc.
And also, may change over time.
Although we do our best to keep this site up to date.
So please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you.
And also, we have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE.
Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
[qs_listing areaofinterest=”MASSAGE-THERAPY” iptogeo=”true”]