The state of West Virginia is the home to nearly 1,200 registered and certified massage therapists. Here you can start your journey towards becoming a successful and ambitious professional. In this article you will find all of the necessary information, rules and guidelines you will need to do just that. Continue reading for more on this topic.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in West Virginia
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
West Virginia requires you as an aspiring massage therapist to meet and exceed certain schooling and licensing requirements. Education hours, approved schools and specific licensing requirements have been set for you by the state’s massage board to help you become a successful and budding massage therapist. Make the most of the journey, follow all directions and meet these rules and guidelines to ensure your total success.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
In the state of West Virginia, the massage therapy education requirements are a bit more extensive than that of other states. Here, you must acquire at least 600 hours of instruction. Through your education you will become exposed to several of the following topics:
- Specialized Massage Techniques
- Swedish Massage
- Connective Tissue Massage
- Neuromuscular Therapy
- Polarity Therapy
- Chair Massage
- Sports Massage
- Business Ethics and Administration
You will also be required to take courses in Anatomy, Physiology, Kinesiology and Pathology. Additionally, a CPR and First Aid certificate should be acquired.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
There are several excellent programs and schools that offer accredited massage therapy training in the state of West Virginia. The following is a list of such schools:
Mountain State School of Massage
P.O. Box 4487
Charleston, WV 25364
5514 Big Tyler Road
Cross Lanes, WV 25313
Clarksburg Beauty Academy
120 South 3rd Street
Clarksburg, WV 26301
Triad Tech School of Massage Therapy
30 6th Avenue West Suite 102
Huntington, WV 25701
Art & Science Institute of Cosmetology & Massage
1208 Locus Avenue
Fairmont, WV 26554
Morgantown Beauty College
276 Walnut Street
Morgantown, WV 26501
Mountwest Community & Technical College
Division of Allied Health & Life Sciences
1 Mountwest Way
Huntington, WV 25701
To become licensed in the state of West Virginia as a new applicant you must complete the following requirements:
- Download an application packet and fill it out completely.
- Send the form #1 to the school in which you received your massage therapy education as this form must include the school’s official seal for it to be accepted.
- You must obtain your massage therapy education from a Board approved school and have at least 500 hours of in-class supervised instruction.
- Submit proof that you took and successfully passed the National Certification Board of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) examination.
- You must submit an Initial Application Fee of $50, which is nonrefundable.
- A Two Year License Fee of $300 is also required.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
The West Virginia Massage Therapy Licensure Board is the primary agency that creates and oversees the rules and regulations set for the massage industry in the state of West Virginia. The Board was created by the state of West Virginia to provide education, experience and expertise for you and all other massage therapists in the state.
If you would like to contact the Board for any comments, questions or concerns, please feel free to refer to the following contact information:
West Virginia Massage Therapy Licensure Board
179 Summers Street
Charleston, WV 25301
Toll Free: 800-871-7265
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in West Virginia (Massage Establishment License)
Starting your own massage business in West Virginia is a very exciting and exhilarating process. To begin, be sure to visit the state’s website by following the link provided here.
First you will need to decide on what type of business structure you would like your business to operate as. The options include sole proprietorship, partnership or a corporation.
Once you have decided on the business structure, you will then be able to apply for a tax ID number and fill out the appropriate tax forms for the state of West Virginia. You can find additional information about taxes by following the link provided here.
You will also need to name your business and register the name with the state of West Virginia. A very essential part of your business is writing a business plan. This particular plan will help outline your expectations, goals and hopes for the future. Additionally, you will need to find a location to operate and rent, lease or purchase the building.
Massage License Renewal Process
Every two years, you will be required to apply for renewal on your massage therapy license. To find the renewal application you can visit this webpage.
The renewal fee is $200, which should be submitted as either a money order, cashier’s check, personal or business check only made out to “West Virginia Massage Therapy Licensure Board”. Once your renewal application has been printed and completed, you can mail it directly to the Board, along with the fee to the following:
West Virginia Therapy Licensure Board
179 Summers Street, Suite 711
Charleston, WV 25301
The state of West Virginia requires that as a licensed massage therapist, you must keep your education current by completing the required amount of continuing education courses every year. You must complete a minimum of 24 hours during the two-year period. Of this 24-hour continuing education requirement, at least 3 hours must be in professional ethics.
The Board’s website has a list of several continuing education opportunities available to you that can be used to satisfy the continuing education requirement. You can find this list by visiting the “Opportunity” page on the West Virginia Massage Therapy Licensure Board’s website.
If your renewal application is submitted late a late fee of $50 will be required as well.
Massage License Reciprocity
If you are an out-of-state massage therapist looking to move to the West Virginia area and would like to apply for reciprocity, then you will need to provide the Board with a copy of your current license from the state where you practice. Additionally, they will need a copy of your current continuing education units if you have been licensed over two years. If you have successfully taken and passed the NCBTMB exam, then the Board requires a copy of proof.
Aside from required documentation, the Board also requires you to submit a two year license fee for Reciprocity of $300.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Aide
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Respiratory Therapy
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Interested in becoming a massage therapy teacher in West Virginia? Read this article.