Montana is the home of hopes and dreams; it is also filled with beautiful landscapes, mountains and valleys to enjoy.
Wouldn’t you like to call Montana home, particularly for your massage therapy business?
With so much potential, the massage industry is blossoming and ready for you to take the journey on headfirst.
Make Montana your choice of working as a professional massage therapist today!
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Montana.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
The state of Montana, like many other states in the United States, requires you to meet and exceed certain requirements and schooling before you can become a licensed massage therapist.
In this article, we will be detailing the important highlights of becoming certified in the state of Montana.
Here, you will be required to meet at least 500 hours of education credits, take a nationally recognized examination and submit certain documents prior to licensure.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
Like many other states in the United States, Montana requires you to acquire at least 500 hours of in-class supervised instruction from an approved curriculum and massage school.
Additionally, the state of Montana requires you to pass one of the following national massage therapy examinations and also, submit proof that you took and successfully passed it:
- NCETMB – The National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork
- MBLEx – The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination
- NCETM – The National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage
Licensure Qualifying Programs
The following is a list of some of the Board approved massage schools in the state of Montana:
Health Works Institute
111 S. Grand Avenue Annex 3
Bozeman, MT 59715
The Salon Professional Academy
501 2nd Street South
Great Falls, MT 59405
Massage Training Institute
1500 Airport Road
Kalispell, MT 59901
Montana School of Massage
1629 South Avenue West
Missoula, MT 59801
To apply for your massage therapy license, you must completely fill out and submit an application to the Montana Board of Massage Therapy.
In addition to your application, certain documents and requirements are expected of you before a license will be issued.
Below is a list of all the licensing and certification requirements for becoming a massage therapist in the state of Montana.
- First, you must fully complete and print a Licensure Form, depending on the avenue you choose to take for licensure.
- For example, if you are applying for licensure by examination, then you will need to fill out the application linked here.
- However, if you are applying for licensure by credential, then follow the link provided here.
- Once you have successfully completed and printed your application, you must mail it to the following address:
Montana Board of Massage Therapy
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
- Applying by examination requires certain additional requirements and documents to be submitted alongside the application.
- The following list is the full details of what you will need to submit alongside this application:
- Submit an application/license fee of $140.
- Documentation proving that you are at least 18 years of age must be submitted.
- This may include a valid driver’s license, birth certificate or passport.
- You must provide two (2) letters that attest to your good moral character.
- Individuals who know you well (not family members) must send these letters directly to the Board’s office.
- The form that the senders will need to fill out is attached to the application, which you can find by following this link.
- A copy of a certified transcript from the high school or GED program that you were a part of.
- You must provide proof of successfully completing a massage therapy educational program.
- This program must consist of at least 500 hours of coursework and must meet the curriculum guidelines set by the Board.
- To prove you have successfully met this requirement, you must have an official transcript sent from the school directly to the Board.
- You must submit evidence of successfully taking and passing either the NCETMB, NESL, NCETM or MBLEx examination.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
Since July 1st, 2010, the Montana Board of Massage Therapy has regulated all massage therapists and works to govern and oversee the massage industry in the state of Montana.
If you happen to have any comments, questions or concerns about your massage license.
So please feel free to utilize the contact information below to speak with a board member:
Requirements to Start A Massage Business in Montana (Massage Establishment License)
And also, starting your own massage business in Montana can be a fun and exciting journey to embark on.
Here in Montana, there are many resources that you can utilize to help you launch your business further towards success.
To begin, you should visit the Business page on the state’s website; you visit this page by clicking the link provided here.
Below is a checklist to help you get started:
- Determine the business structure: Will you be acting as a sole proprietor? A partnership? A corporation?
- And also, you will need to choose which business structure is right for you and file taxes accordingly.
- Choose a business name: If you have an idea of what name you would like.
- But just aren’t set on it yet for your massage business.
- And also, the state of Montana allows you to reserve a business name for up to 120 days while you prepare to file necessary documents.
- File your organizational documents: Any documents that you might need to launch your business can be found on the website linked above.
- So the forms you will need to fill out and submit will depend upon which structure you choose to operate as.
- Apply for a Tax ID Number: You can do this by calling the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-4933.
- Obtain your Massage Therapist License.
Massage License Renewal Process
Your massage license will expire on August 31st of the year you are due for renewal.
To renew, you must complete and submit the renewal application linked here.
And also, you will begin by filling out the form on this webpage and then follow the directions provided on the application.
Which will lead you to renew your license online?
To renew your massage license online, you will need to visit www.licenserenewal.mt.gov.
Furthermore, you must renew your license before or no later than 11:59 pm the night of your renewal deadline date.
Because if you fail to meet this deadline, then the Board will add additional late fees to your renewal fee.
And also, if you choose not to renew online, you may fill out and print the renewal application linked here and mail it to the Board directly at the following address:
Board of Massage Therapists
301 South Park
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
To accompany your renewal application, you will need to submit a check or money order of $90 (the renewal fee) to the Board of Massage Therapy.
Because the Board asks that you do not send cash and that foreign residents pay in U.S. funds only.
In addition to applying for renewal, you must also complete and fulfil the continuing education credits as required by the Board.
Furthermore, you are held responsible for fulfilling this requirement and will be asked to attest to attending and successfully completing the necessary hours requested by the Board.
So for every 2-year renewal, 12 continuing education credits are required.
And also, if you would like to read more about the continuing education rules set for massage therapists in the state of Montana.
Then you can visit this website for more information.
Massage License Reciprocity
Reciprocity is possible in the state of Montana. If you require massage license reciprocity.
So then you must begin by filling out the Licensure by Credential Application and submit the following directly to the Board:
- Along with your application, you must submit a $140 application/licensing fee.
- Documentation is required to prove that you are at least 18 years of age.
- Acceptable documentation may include a copy of your driver’s license or birth certificate.
- And also, you must provide two (2) letters that attest to your good moral character.
- So individuals that know you well must write these letters, but should not be family members. You can find the forms connected with the application.
- And also, you must submit a copy of a certified transcript proving you completed a high school level education.
- Furthermore, you must possess an active license, certificate or registration that is in good standing from another state.
- The requirements for obtaining such a credential must be equal or approved by the Board in the state of Montana.
- And also, you must submit verification of all licensures or certifications to the Board from each state in which you hold a license.
- A request form is attached to the application and also, must be submitted as well.
- And also, a copy of the licensing requirements that you were required to meet in the state of licensure.
MTSI – Montana Massage Therapy Schools & License Requirements
Note: Specific personal information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time.
Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
So here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you.
And also, we have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE.
Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Nursing Field
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future
- Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!