How to Operate a Massage Therapy School in Kentucky, the requirements for massage therapy practice and education are overseen by the Board of Licensure for Massage Therapy.
If you want to start a massage school in Kentucky, your school must provide a minimum of 600 hours of supervised hands-on and classroom instruction.
In addition, your school must license by the Kentucky Commission for Proprietary Education or the Council on Post secondary Education.
If your school does not grant bachelor degrees or higher, then it is governed by the Kentucky Commission for Proprietary Education.
If your school does have a degree-granting program, then you would need to apply for licensure with the Council on Post secondary Education.
Most independent massage schools would fall under the Kentucky Commission for Proprietary Education.
Obtaining a License from the Kentucky Commission for Proprietary Education
To obtain a license, you need to apply using the Application for Resident School.
This application requires you to provide the following information:
- Address and contact person for the school;
- Background information on school owners and administrators;
- Any accreditations you may have;
- Names of all administrators and supervisors;
- Hours and days of operation;
- Number of instructional staff and recruiters;
- The program(s) you are offering and their length;
MIST – How to Operate a Massage Therapy School in Kentucky
- You must also attach the following supporting material:
- School surety bond or irrevocable letter of credit in the amount of $20,000;
- Blanket agent surety bond of $5,000 for each recruiter in the state of Kentucky;
- Application for permit to act as an agent for each recruiter in the state of Kentucky;
- Student enrollment form, with refund policy;
- A sample of certificate or diploma to grant at the completion of the program;
- Form for Instructional Staff and Key Administrative Personnel;
- Complete equipment inventory for the program;
- A description of your facility with a floor plan and dimensions of rooms;
- Minimum instructor qualifications;
- School financial statement;
- Fire inspection report;
- School catalogue containing all the requirements for the state of Kentucky.
You must also submit an application fee of $500 and a contribution to the student protection fund of $500.
You will also be responsible for costs associated with a site visit.
After approval, you will have to renew your license annually at a cost of $500 plus $25 for each $10,000 of gross revenue in excess of $50,000 not to exceed $3,000.
Your application must be filed 30 days before the commission considers it.
There are minimum standards that your program must meet in order to obtain approval.
These include having sufficient resources in facilities, equipment, instructors and administrators to adequately educate your students. In addition, your school must be financially sound and maintain adequate records.
Obtaining Approval from the Board of Licensure for Massage Therapy
To be approved by the board, you need to fill out an application for a certificate of good standing with the board.
The board requires that your program meet the following standards:
- Approval from a state agency;
- The curriculum of at least 600 hours with
- 125 hours of anatomy and physiology;
- 200 hours of massage therapy theory, technique and also, practice using basic techniques;
- 200 hours of approach to the business of massage including contraindication, benefits, business, history, ethics, client documentation, legalities of massage, and also, modalities specific to the school’s objectives;
- 40 hours of pathology;
- 35 hours to use at the school’s discretion.
- Instructional staff qualifications
- Instructors of practical massage courses must license massage therapists with at least 3 years of experience;
- Instructors of science courses must either license massage therapists with at least 3 years of experience or have a certification or higher education in the course they are teaching;
- And also, instructors of adjunct courses must have subject-specific education and experience.
There is no fee associated with the application.
Once approved, you will have to renew approval each year.
Upon renewal, you will require to report any program updates, personnel changes, graduation rates, and license examination rates.
If you want to open a new massage therapy school in Kentucky and how to Operate a Massage Therapy School in Kentucky.
So you will need to offers a program with at least 600 hours of supervised instruction and obtain a certificate of good standing from the massage therapy board.
In addition, your school will need a license from the Kentucky Commission for Proprietary Education.
Your initial fees and required contributions for your school applications will be about $1,000, plus any expenses involved with a site visit to your school.
Kentucky Board of Licensure for Massage Therapy
How to Operate a Massage Therapy School in Kentucky
Kentucky Board of Licensure for Massage Therapy (forms)
Kentucky Commission for Proprietary Education
Leave a Reply