[qs_widget wtpl=”onestep” sub=”MASSAGE-THERAPY” framewidth=”600″ frameheight=”120″]
As part of the “South”, Tennessee is a historic and country-rooted state with much to offer you as an aspiring massage therapist.
Here, the country music plays and also, the Great Smoky Mountain heritage live forever.
Tennessee is home to many of the rich and also, famous country stars.
Such as Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash and Charlie Rich.
Thousands of people flock to Tennessee to experience all that.
The state has to offer relaxation, mountains and also, a few good tunes to tap their feet to.
With over 4,000 registered massage therapists in this one state.
The competition is high but you can most certainly beat the odds.
Continue reading this article to find out more about the massage industry as it relates to the state of Tennessee.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Tennessee.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
So the Tennessee Board of Massage Licensure, regulated by the Department of Health.
Has set out to create rules and also, regulations for acquiring your massage therapist license in Tennessee.
Because there are particular schooling, licensure information.
And also, other requirements that you must meet and also, exceed.
In this article, you will be given all of the information.
And also, tools you need to further pursue your dream of becoming a part of the massage industry in the state of Tennessee.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
However, there are several schools and also, massage therapy programs.
That the Board has approved for you to attend.
In addition the state of Tennessee, you are required to take at least 500 hours worth of massage therapy in-class and supervised education.
Aside from these required courses, you must also take.
And also, pass the NCETMB (National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork).
Before the state will issue you a license to practice massage.
So the other accepted examination is the MBLEx.
The Massage and also, Bodywork Licensing Examination.
And also, is considered a substitution for the NCETMB.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
So the following is a short list of some of the many approved schools.
And also, massage therapy programs in the state of Tennessee.
You may utilize the following information to contact and also, research these schools prior to attending one.
And also, if you would like to find out more information about additional programs.
So you can visit the Tennessee Board of Massage Licensure Educational Programs webpage by clicking here.
500 Wilson Pike Circle #121
Brentwood, TN 37027
Chattanooga State Technical Community College
East Gate Town Center
5600 East Brainerd Road
Chattanooga, TN 37411
Miller-Motte Technical Institute
6020 Shallowford Road
Chattanooga, TN 37421
Massage Institute of Cleveland
4009 Keith Street
Cleveland, TN 37312
Appalachian Training Center for Healing Arts
117 West Hwy 25-70
Dandridge, TN 37725
In order for you to be able to practice massage therapy in Tennessee.
So you must possess a “lawfully issued license from the Board.”
And also, the rules and guidelines for obtaining this license include the following:
- Request an application packet from the Board’s Administrative Office to complete and also, mail back.
- Submit a copy of your Birth Certificate or its equivalent.
- Which indicates that you are at least 18 years of age.
- And also, if you are not a United States citizen.
- Then you should submit proof of your immigration status demonstrating that you have a right to work in the US.
- So you must request that a transcript from one or more post-secondary academic institution(s) approved by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.
- Or its equivalent in another state(s) is submitted directly from the institution(s) to the Board Administrative Office.
- Because this transcript must have the official seal of the institution.
- And also, must show that you have successfully completed a massage, bodywork.
- And/or somatic therapy curriculum consisting of no less than 500 classroom hours.
- Furthermore, you must request that verification of having successfully completed an examination submit directly from the examining agency to the Board Administrative Office.
- And also, you must submit evidence of good moral character.
- Because this may consist of two recent letters signed.
- And dated by health care professionals regarding your character and professional ethics.
- Disclose any criminal offences, loss or restriction of licensure.
- So any civil suit judgments or failure of any professional licensure examination.
- A Criminal Background Check must be completed and also, submitted.
- Submit the application fee and state regulatory fee.
MTSI – Tennessee Massage Therapy Schools & Certifications
As well as, a new applicant, you are now required to submit a Criminal Background Check before your massage license may be issued.
So the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI).
And also, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) should conduct this criminal background check.
Because this particular background check requires a nonrefundable-processing fee of $42.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
So the Board of Massage Licensure, under the Tennessee Department of Health.
Is the key agency that oversees and creates rules and also, guidelines for the massage industry for this particular state.
The Massage Licensure Board was created in 1995 by an act of the State Legislature and also, has the following mission:
“To safeguard the health, safety, and welfare of Tennesseans by requiring.
Those who practice the profession of massage therapy within this state be qualified.”
So if you would like to contact the Board.
So please feel free to consider the following information:
Board of Massage Licensure
665 Mainstream Drive, 2nd Floor
Nashville, TN 37243
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Tennessee (Massage Establishment License)
The state of Tennessee has certain guidelines that it requires you as a massage business owner to abide by.
The following can be found in the rules and also, guidelines.
Which you can visit by following this link provided.
- And also, your massage business must ensure and maintain an adequate waiting area for all clients.
- So you must maintain properly installed smoke detectors and also, fire extinguishers in compliance with local fire codes.
- Massage therapy may be conducted only in rooms.
- Because which are adequately lighted and ventilated.
- And so constructed that they can be kept clean.
- So you should make sure that all floors, walls, ceilings.
- And also, windows are clean at all times, in good repair and free of pests.
- Your massage business must provide guests with a working restroom.
- And also, you must ensure that all equipment and also, supplies used to perform massage services are safe and also, sanitary.
- So your massage business must meet all Inspection Requirements as set by the state of Tennessee.
Massage License Renewal Process
A renewal notice will mail directly to you from the Board’s administrative office forty-five (45) days prior to the expiration of your massage therapist license.
And also, you are responsible for renewing your license on time.
And also, keeping the Board aware of your current contact information.
So your license may renew online 120 days before it expires.
Because when you are redirected to the renewal website.
Click on the “License Renewal” link and follow all instructions.
So practising without a license or with an expired license is against the law.
And also, may cause the Board to take legal actions out on you.
Avoid this at all cost and renew your license when the time arises.
Massage License Reciprocity
So if you are licensed or have been licensed in another state.
And are seeking reciprocity licensure in the state of Tennessee.
Then you must request that a transcript from one or more post-secondary academic institution(s) approved by the governing agency in the other state by submitted directly from the institution(s) to the Board Administrative Office.
Because this transcript must show that you successfully completed a massage, bodywork.
And/or somatic therapy curriculum consisting of at least 500 hours of in-class supervision and instruction.
In addition, you must submit proof of having successfully completed 5 classroom hours of instruction regarding Tennessee massage statutes.
And also, regulations and 10 classroom hours of ethics instruction.
Note: Specific personal information, office addresses, fees, payments etc.
May change over time.
Although we do our best to keep this site up to date,
So please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
So here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you.
And also, we have an arrangement with all of them.
That allow you to request information for FREE.
Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
[qs_listing areaofinterest=”MASSAGE-THERAPY” iptogeo=”true”]
How can I post our schools information on this site? Your help is appreciated.
CHristine, please email us from the contact us link and we can help