[qs_widget wtpl=”onestep” sub=”MASSAGE-THERAPY” framewidth=”600″ frameheight=”120″]
First of all, South Dakota is home to some of the United State’s largest attractions.
Including Mount Rushmore, Wind Cave National Park and also, the Black Hills.
So here, you can choose from many cities.
And also, towns to begin your massage therapy business.
Being such a tourist driven state.
And also, South Dakota is a desirable place to go after your professional career.
Become a part of a budding industry with only 730 registered certificate doctors.
So the competition is very low and you can reach great heights here.
Because in this article, you will find all of the information.
And also, you need to pursue your massage therapy license in the state of South Dakota.
Therefore, to further your research, be sure to visit the South Dakota Board of Massage Therapy website.
Either contact them directly by following this link here.
So scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in South Dakota.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
So similar to that of other states.
Furthermore, South Dakota has its very own massage therapy board known as the South Dakota Board of Massage Therapy.
As well as, an aspiring massage therapist.
And also, you must meet certain criteria.
And also, requirements set by the Board.
Before you can begin practising professionally.
So you must meet certain education.
And also, training requirements along with submission of a completed application and also, supporting documents.
Continue reading to find out more about!
What is required of you in the state of South Dakota?
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
Hence, in order for you to become licensed as a massage therapist.
So the state of South Dakota requires you to have at least 500 hours of in-class, supervised education.
And also, training from a Board approved and recognized school or program.
Because these 500 hours must consist of the following:
- 125 hours of training in the body’s system.
- And also, anatomy, physiology and also, kinesiology.
- 200 hours of training in massage and also, bodywork assessment, theory and also, application.
- 40 hours of pathology training.
- 10 hours of business and ethics training with a minimum of 6 hours in ethics
- 125 hours of additional training in a related field to complete the entire study program.
So after you have completed the above-mentioned education and also, training requirements.
And also, you must take and pass one of the national exams for licensing.
So the Board has approved the following examinations:
- NCETM – The National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage this exam costs $225
- NCETMB – The National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork this exam also costs $225
- And also, NBCA – Massage Therapy Certification Exam this exam costs $275
- MBLEx – The Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards this exam costs $195
Licensure Qualifying Programs
Therefore, the South Dakota Board of Massage Therapy currently recognizes certain “facilities”, schools.
And also, programs that are approved for you to take your massage therapy education and training.
These include the following:
Spring Bath House School of Massage
1111 S. Miller Avenue
Mitchell, SD 57301
Headlines Academy of Massage
508 6th Street
Rapid City, SD 57701
5101 South Broadband Lane
Sioux Falls, SD 57108
Sioux Falls Therapeutic Massage & Education
4201 South Oxbox Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57106
South Dakota School of Massage Therapy
902 West 22nd Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57105
As an addition to these approved schools and programs.
The Board has also recognized other facilities.
So if it has been approved by a state board of massage therapy in the state where the facility is located.
Either is an accredited facility by one or more of the following accredited bodies:
- Commission on Massage Therapy Accreditation (COMTA)
- Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and also, Schools (ACICS)
- Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET)
- National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences (NACCAS)
- Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSCT)
- Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and also, Training Council (DETC)
- Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
To apply for your massage therapy license.
Because the South Dakota Board of Massage Therapy requires the following to be submitted directly to their office:
- And also, a completed application, which you can find by following the link here.
- A non-refundable application fee of $75.
- And also, a licensing fee of $45, which is refundable if your application were to be denied.
- A copy of your Birth Certificate or driver’s license.
- A copy of verification of any name changes.
- Proof of education, including the following:
- A copy of your high school diploma, or equivalent.
- So the proof of at least 500 hours of massage therapy training.
- Complete the Verification of Education Form and also, submit it as well.
- Proof of a passing score on one of the national massage therapy certification exams.
- A Verification letter from each state you are or have been licensed in along with a copy of your license.
- Proof of Professional Liability Insurance of at least $250,000.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
The South Carolina Board of Massage Therapy is the governing organization.
So that oversees and also, regulates the massage industry in the state of South Dakota.
So the Board’s mission is “to protect the health and safety of the public by compulsory licensure of qualified persons.
And also, enforcement of the statutes, rules, and also, regulations governing the practice of massage therapy.
Including processing and investigating properly filed complaints and also, holding hearings as warranted.”
So if you would like to contact the Board.
Please feel free to consider the following information:
P.O. Box #340, 105 S. Euclid Ave. Suite C
Pierre, SD 57501
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in South Dakota (Massage Establishment License)
Because if you interested in starting.
And also, owning your own massage business.
And also, a good place to start is the “Business” page of the Official South Dakota State Government Website.
So here you will find all of the information.
And also, you will need to pursue your dreams of owning your own massage business in the state.
Furthermore, you must consider and complete the following:
- Write a Business Plan.
- And also, get Business Assistance and also, Training.
- So choose a Business Location.
- Finance Your Business.
- So Determine the Legal Structure of Your Business.
- Register a Business Name.
- Get a Tax Identification Number.
- And also, register for State and Local Taxes.
- Obtain a Business License and also, Permit.
- Understand Employer Responsibilities.
Massage License Renewal Process
However, to renew your massage therapy license.
So you must complete at least 8 hours of continuing education credits every two years.
Furthermore, the continuing education courses must follow the guidelines and also, rules set by the Board.
In addition, the course provider must approve by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage.
And also, Bodywork or American Medical Massage Association, or both.
So to see the full continuing education requirements for the state of South Dakota.
Therefore, you may visit this webpage.
As well as, of 2014, you must show proof of the 8 hours of required continuing education in even-numbered years.
Additionally, you must submit a completed application with the necessary renewal fee of $75.
Massage License Reciprocity
Therefore, application for massage licensure by reciprocity in the state of South Dakota includes the following:
- Complete the Application for Licensure by Reciprocity and also, submit it to the following:
- South Dakota Board of Massage Therapy
P.O. Box 340
105 S. Euclid Avenue, Suite C
Pierre, SD 57501-0340
- South Dakota Board of Massage Therapy
Other details are:
- And also, a nonrefundable renewal fee of $75.
- And also, licensing fee of $45 (refundable if your application is denied).
- Furthermore, a copy of Birth Certificate or driver’s license.
- Therefore, verification of any name changes.
- Proof of Education:
- A copy of high school diploma, or an equivalent.
- So the proof of at least 500 hours of specific training in massage therapy.
- However, proof of Licensure by a State that offers to license reciprocity (a copy of license).
- And also, verification of State Licensure and also, Reciprocity from each state licensed in.
- Therefore, proof of a passing score on an accepted national certification exam.
- So Proof of Professional Liability Insurance of at least $250,000.
Note: Specific personal information, office addresses, fees, payments etc.
And also, may change over time.
Although we do our best to keep this site up to date.
Please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
So here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you.
And also, we have an arrangement with all of them.
That allows you to request information for FREE.
Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
[qs_listing areaofinterest=”MASSAGE-THERAPY” iptogeo=”true”]