There are 11,621 credentialed massage therapist practitioners in the state of Washington.
In this article, you will find all of the information and forms that you will need to further pursue your dreams of becoming a massage therapist in the state of Washington.
So continue reading for additional information.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Washington.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
In the state of Washington, obtaining your massage therapy license is a fulfilling and easy process to undergo.
The Washington Health Professions Quality Assurance Board of Massage provides you with all of the necessary forms, applications, instructions, rules and regulations to work.
And also, successfully become a massage therapist here.
Be sure to follow all of the steps and instructions to prevent any delays in the application process.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
Furthermore, the state of Washington requires you to take a minimum of 500 hours from an accredited massage therapy school or program in order to obtain a massage therapist license.
And also, Washington requires you to take a jurisprudence (Law) exam, which can be found online.
Previously, proof of passing a National Exam regulated by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork was also required.
Recently, however, the FSMTB offers the MBLEX exam which is the state standard for many massage schools now.
Since the NCBTMB has ceased to offer the NCETM (the licensing only version).
Some longer programs may still work with the NCBTMB exam however if they are over 750 hours.
Because the schooling you will receive should include the following coursework:
- 130 hours of anatomy and physiology, at least 40 hours of these need to be kinesiology.
- 50 hours of pathology, including indications and contraindications.
- 265 hours of theory and practice of massage, to include techniques, remedial movements, body mechanics of the practitioner and the impact of techniques on pathologies.
- And also, a maximum of 50 of these hours may include time spent in a student clinic.
- Hydrotherapy will be included as well.
- 55 hours of clinical/business practices, minimally to include hygiene, record keeping, medical terminology, professional ethics, business management, human behaviour, client interaction and state and local laws.
- Certification in American Red Cross first aid and also, American Heart Association Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.
- 4 contact hours of training in HIV/AIDS training.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
So there are many approved massage therapy schools that you may attend to receive your education.
Here is a short list of some of the massage schools in the area:
Denton Massage School
426 North Olympia Avenue
Arlington, WA 98223
155 Washington Avenue, #200
Bremerton, WA 98337
2030 South 314th Street
Federal Way, WA 98003
12623 NE 110th Street
Kirkland, WA 98033
Bellevue Massage School
15921 NE 8th St C-106
Bellevue, WA 98008
To receive your massage practitioner license you must complete and submit certain documentation.
The following is a list that you can also find on the Board’s website here.
- Complete a Washington State Board of Massage approved education program (as mentioned above) and successfully take and pass a massage therapy national examination.
- And also, you must provide a Verification of Completion form stamped with the Program’s Department of Health issued stamp received directly from the approved education program.
- So you must list all of the states in which you were licensed as a massage therapist.
- Additionally, the Board would like to know where you have applied but failed to receive a credential.
- A verification form must be completed and submitted by the jurisdiction where you were credentialed.
- And also, complete and submit the License Application Packet.
- And also, you must submit an explanation or documentation of any felony convictions, your physical and mental health status as well as any disciplinary actions.
- 4 hours of HIV/AIDS training.
- So you must submit your First Aid and CPR cards or verification from an approved education program.
- So pay a $106 Initial License Fee.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
The Washington Health Professions Quality Assurance Board of Massage is the governing agency and board that oversees and manages the massage therapy industry in the state of Washington.
If you have any questions regarding your licensure or the application process.
So please feel free to take the time to contact their office at the following:
Town Center 2
111 Israel Road SE
Tumwater, WA 98501
PO BOX 47877
Olympia, WA. 98504-7877
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Washington (Massage Establishment
As a licensed and practicing massage therapist, there are certain rules that are required of you to start and own a massage business in the state of Washington.
The 2011 Legislature bill was passed (SHB 1133) amending the law related to massage therapy.
This bill requires you to do the following within your business:
- As a massage practitioner, your name and license number must appear on all of your advertisements and marketing materials.
- As a massage practitioner, you must conspicuously display your license in your place of business.
- And also, you must have a copy of your license available for inspection while performing any activities related to massage therapy.
To start a business in the state of Washington, you must complete the following procedures:
- Visit “Access Washington” business page for some of the rules and regulations.
- Plan your business – Seek out advice, write a business plan and set goals for your business
- To register your business in the state of Washington. You can do so by visiting this link.
- Determine your business structure – Is it a sole proprietorship? A partnership? A corporation?
- And also, choose a business name.
- Get your massage therapy license.
Massage License Renewal Process
The Board asks that you always keep your current mailing address in their system.
Because this will help them reach you better, particularly when your renewal year comes around.
The Board mails you a courtesy renewal notice and updated credential to the address that they have on file.
And also, if you need to update your mailing information, please follow the link provided here.
Continuing Education: Twenty-four hours (24) of continuing education is due every two years on or before your birthday.
So you are also required to submit the renewal fee, renewal card and an affidavit of compliance with the continuing education requirement.
And also, you must renew your license every year on or before your birthday.
A renewal fee is also required or $81 every year.
To renew your massage license, you can either do it online, by mail or in person.
Because the following describes these three different methods:
And also, you have the option to renew your massage license online.
There is a $2 convenience fee to renew your license online.
To complete the renewal process, you may follow this link.
There are restrictions, however, to being able to renew on the Internet; these include:
- Your license has expired already
- You are currently in any other status such as military, inactive, retired
- You have restrictions on your credential
- And also, you want to change your status
- You have an address change
- You have a name change
On the Renewal Page, you will be asked to create an ID and password if you have not already done so.
This will grant you access to the renewal application.
Be sure to follow all of the steps and also, instructions were given to reduce the need to contact the Board.
Which may slow the process down.
If you find that you have questions regarding the renewal process online, contact the Department of Health Online Services by phone at 360-236-4700.
Your renewal must be postmarked or received by midnight of the expiration date or it will be considered late and therefore denied.
And also, if the renewal is late, the Board will assess a late fee.
You can renew up to 90 days before your license expires (see mailing address above).
So if you wish, you may renew your license in person at the Board’s physical address.
To do so, please visit the address below:
The Washington Health Professions Quality Assurance Board of Massage
Town Center 2
111 Israel Road SE
Tumwater, WA 98501
Massage License Reciprocity
Reciprocity may be granted to you if you hold a current, active license or certification as a massage therapist in another state.
However, the education and requirements for receiving your licensure must be of equal comparison and must be approved by the Board.
Note: Specific personal information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time.
Although we do our best to keep this site up to date.
So please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you.
And also, we have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE.
Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Massage Therapy
At American Institute, we believe you can become whatever you want to be, and we’re ready to help you get there. We pride ourselves on working hard to deliver quality, innovative education to our students that gives them the skills to begin or enhance their careers. We try to help our students meet their goals of changing or enhancing their careers, and also help prospective employers of our graduates in meeting the workforce needs of the 21st century while actively participating in the communities we operate within.
- Massage Therapy
Get hands-on training with South Texas Vocational Technical Institute. We offer a number of diploma programs in the skilled trades and health and wellness fields at our campuses in Weslaco, Corpus Christi, McAllen, San Antonio, and Brownsville, Texas.
- Professional Massage Therapy
Pursue your education with Platt College (Oklahoma). We offer hands-on training programs in the culinary arts, allied health, and nursing fields.
*Programs vary by location.
*High school diploma or GED required.
*Licensed by OBPVS.
- Massage Therapy
Take your career to the next step with IntelliTec College. We offer programs for careers in the business, computer, healthcare, beauty & personal appearance, technical trades and exercise & wellness fields at our three campuses in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Massage Therapy
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Massage Therapy
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Advanced Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
As a student at Southeastern College, you will gain the training, skills, and knowledge you need to prepare for a rewarding career.
- Massage Therapy/Terapia de Masaje
- Diploma in Professional Clinical Massage Therapy
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Massage Therapy
Are you un-employed, under-employed or looking for a stable career where you can make a real difference? Well then, you have come to the right place.
At locally-owned and nationally accredited IBMC College, you can train for a rewarding, new career, all in as little as 6-23 months! With nearly 20 program options to choose from, at nearby campuses, you will find the path that is just the right fit for you.
- Diploma-Therapeutic Massage