There are 11,621 credentialed massage therapist practitioners in the state of Washington. In this article, you will find all of the information and forms that you will need to further pursue your dreams of becoming a massage therapist in the state of Washington. Continue reading for additional information.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Washington.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
In the state of Washington, obtaining your massage therapy license is a fulfilling and easy process to undergo. The Washington Health Professions Quality Assurance Board of Massage provides you with all of the necessary forms, applications, instructions, rules and regulations to work and successfully become a massage therapist here. Be sure to follow all of the steps and instructions to prevent any delays in the application process.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
The state of Washington requires you to take a minimum of 500 hours from an accredited massage therapy school or program in order to obtain a massage therapist license. Washington also requires you to take a jurisprudence (Law) exam, which can be found online. Previously, proof of passing a National Exam regulated by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork was also required.
Recently however, the FSMTB offers the MBLEX exam which is the state standard for many massage schools now since the NCBTMB has ceased to offer the NCETM (the licensing only version). Some longer programs may still work with the NCBTMB exam however if they are over 750 hours.
The schooling you will receive should include the following coursework:
- 130 hours of anatomy and physiology, at least 40 hours of these need to be kinesiology.
- 50 hours of pathology, including indications and contraindications.
- 265 hours of theory and practice of massage, to include techniques, remedial movements, body mechanics of the practitioner and the impact of techniques on pathologies. A maximum of 50 of these hours may include time spent in a student clinic. Hydrotherapy will be included as well.
- 55 hours of clinical/business practices, minimally to include hygiene, record keeping, medical terminology, professional ethics, business management, human behavior, client interaction and state and local laws.
- Certification in American Red Cross first aid and American Heart Association Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.
- 4 contact hours of training in HIV/AIDS training.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
There are many approved massage therapy schools that you may attend to receive your education. Here is a short list of some of the massage schools in the area:
Denton Massage School
426 North Olympia Avenue
Arlington, WA 98223
155 Washington Avenue, #200
Bremerton, WA 98337
2030 South 314th Street
Federal Way, WA 98003
12623 NE 110th Street
Kirkland, WA 98033
Bellevue Massage School
15921 NE 8th St C-106
Bellevue, WA 98008
To receive your massage practitioner license you must complete and submit certain documentation. The following is a list that you can also find on the Board’s website here.
- Complete a Washington State Board of Massage approved education program (as mentioned above) and successfully take and pass a massage therapy national examination. You must provide a Verification of Completion form stamped with the Program’s Department of Health issued stamp received directly from the approved education program.
- You must list all of the states in which you were licensed as a massage therapist. Additionally, the Board would like to know where you have applied but failed to receive credential. A verification form must be completed and submitted by the jurisdiction where you were credentialed.
- Complete and submit the License Application Packet.
- You must submit an explanation or documentation of any felony convictions, your physical and mental health status as well as any disciplinary actions.
- 4 hours of HIV/AIDS training.
- You must submit your First Aid and CPR cards or verification from an approved education program.
- Pay a $106 Initial License Fee.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
The Washington Health Professions Quality Assurance Board of Massage is the governing agency and board that oversees and manages the massage therapy industry in the state of Washington. If you have any questions regarding your licensure or the application process, please feel free to take the time to contact their office at the following:
Town Center 2
111 Israel Road SE
Tumwater, WA 98501
PO BOX 47877
Olympia, WA. 98504-7877
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Washington (Massage Establishment
As a licensed and practicing massage therapist, there are certain rules that are required of you to start and own a massage business in the state of Washington. The 2011 Legislature bill was passed (SHB 1133) amending the law related to massage therapy. This bill requires you to do the following within your business:
- As a massage practitioner, your name and license number must appear on all of your advertisements and marketing materials.
- As a massage practitioner you must conspicuously display your license in your place of business.
- You must have a copy of your license available for inspection while performing any activities related to massage therapy.
To start a business in the state of Washington, you must complete the following procedures:
- Visit “Access Washington” business page for some of the rules and regulations.
- Plan your business – Seek out advice, write a business plan and set goals for your business
- Register your business in the state of Washington. You can do so by visiting this link.
- Determine your business structure – Is it a sole proprietorship? A partnership? A corporation?
- Choose a business name.
- Get your massage therapy license.
Massage License Renewal Process
The Board asks that you always keep your current mailing address in their system. This will help them reach you better, particularly when your renewal year comes around. The Board mails you a courtesy renewal notice and updated credential to the address that they have on file. If you need to update your mailing information, please follow the link provided here.
Continuing Education: Twenty-four hours (24) of continuing education is due every two years on or before your birthday. You are also required to submit the renewal fee, renewal card and an affidavit of compliance with the continuing education requirement.
You must renew your license every year on or before your birthday. A renewal fee is also required or $81 every year.
To renew your massage license, you can either do it online, by mail or in person. The following describes these three different methods:
You have the option to renew your massage license online. There is a $2 convenience fee to renew your license online. To complete the renewal process, you may follow this link. There are restrictions, however, to being able to renew on the Internet; these include:
- Your license has expired already
- You are currently in any other status such as military, inactive, retired
- You have restrictions on your credential
- You want to change your status
- You have an address change
- You have a name change
On the Renewal Page, you will be asked to create an ID and password if you have not already done so. This will grant you access to the renewal application. Be sure to follow all of the steps and instructions given to reduce the need to contact the Board, which may slow the process down. If you find that you have questions regarding the renewal process online, contact the Department of Health Online Services by phone at 360-236-4700.
Your renewal must be postmarked or received by midnight of the expiration date or it will be considered late and therefore denied. If the renewal is late, the Board will assess a late fee. You can renew up to 90 days before your license expires (see mailing address above).
If you wish, you may renew your license in person at the Board’s physical address. To do so, please visit the address below:
The Washington Health Professions Quality Assurance Board of Massage
Town Center 2
111 Israel Road SE
Tumwater, WA 98501
Massage License Reciprocity
Reciprocity may be granted to you if you hold a current, active license or certification as a massage therapist in another state. However, the education and requirements for receiving your licensure must be of equal comparison and must be approved by the Board.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Logan is a non-profit university founded in 1935. Logan University has remained grounded in chiropractic education, while continuously enriching academic options with degree offerings in health sciences since 2012.
- Master of Science - Sports Science & Rehabilitation
- Respiratory Therapy
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Work in the fascinating and rewarding field of psychology - earn your bachelor's or master's degree online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research, creativity, ethical formation and inquiry through critical, analytical and interdisciplinary study.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's in psychology degrees combine academic theory with practical application.
- Gain a comprehensive study of human behavior within a Christian values-oriented environment designed to emphasize compassion and ethics.
- Join a values-based community surrounded by compassion, ethics and research on human behavior.
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions