The Virginia Legislature requires that all massage therapists be licensed within the state of Virginia. However, the requirements to start a massage business or to transfer a license from another state are very in-depth and stringent.
In this article, we will be discussing the requirements and education that is required for you to begin your practice as a professional massage therapist in the state of Virginia.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Virginia.
Brief Summary Of The Main Highlights
In the state of Virginia, the profession of massage therapy is regulated and overseen by the Virginia Board of Nursing. To find out more about how you can submit an application for massage therapy, be sure to visit the Virginia Board of Nursing website by following the link provided.
In order to practice massage therapy in the state of Virginia, you must complete a specific amount of credited hours from an approved massage training program. Additionally, successful completion of a National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork or Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards examination is required as well.
Students must go to a school with an approved program, pass an examination and apply to the state for a license.
Schooling Details And Requirements (Credit Hours)
Upon graduating from an accredited Virginia massage therapy school, you must be at least 18 years old to apply for a massage therapy license. Additionally, the state requires that you have at least 500 hours of training from a certified therapy program or a school approved by the State Council of Higher Education.
Additionally, once certified, you as the massage therapist must include 25 continuing education hours (CE Credits) every two years. To better understand what continuing education hours are required of you, please visit the Virginia Board of Nursing’s Laws and Regulations webpage and select “Regulations Governing the Certification of Massage Therapists” link.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
As a student pursuing your massage therapy certification, you must graduate from a certified massage therapy program. Below we have provided a partial list of approved programs that you may want to check into:
- Centura College, 6295 Edsall Road. #250, Alexandria, VA 22312, 703-778-4444
- Virginia School of Massage, 153 Zan Road, Charlottesville, VA 22901, 434-293-4031
- Centura College, 932 Ventures Way, Chesapeake, VA 23320, 757-549-2121
- National Massage Therapy Institute, 803 West Broad Street, Falls Church, VA 22046, 888-333-0422
- Career Training Solutions, 100 Riverside Parkway #123, Fredericksburg, VA 22406, 540-373-2200
- Miller-Motte Technical College, 1011 Creekside Lane, Lynchburg, VA 24502, 888-419-4508
- Heritage Institute, 8255 Shopper’s Square, Manassas, VA 20111, 703-334-2501
- Advanced Fuller School of Massage, 195 South Rosemont Rd. #105, Virginia Beach, VA 23452, 757-340-7132
- Patrick Henry Community College, 645 Patriot Ave. Martinsville, VA 24115, 276-638-8777
- Miller-Motte Technical College, 4444 Electric Road, Roanoke, VA 24018, 540-597-1010
Per the Virginia Board of Nursing, applications for any and all massage therapists cannot be faxed; the original copy must be mailed, simply because the board requires the application to be notarized.
If you would like to view or print the application, please follow this link to the Application for Certification – Massage Therapist. To become fully licensed in the state of Virginia, you must also pass the National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork, the National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage, the Licensing Examination of the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards OR an exam deemed acceptable by the Virginia Board of Nursing.
After submitting your application, the board will then perform a background check to ensure that you are clean of any offenses or crimes. If you are found guilty, the Virginia Board of Nursing will then decline your application.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
The massage therapist industry in the state of Virginia is regulated and controlled by the Virginia Board of Nursing. If you would like to contact them for any questions or concerns, then please feel free to contact them by the following information:
Department of Health Professions – Board of Nursing
Perimeter Center, 9960 Maryland Drive #300, Henrico, VA 23233-1463
Phone: 804-367-4515, Fax: 804-527-4455 and Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Requirements To Start A Massage Business in Virginia (Massage Establishment License)
If you have filed a completed application with the Virginia Board of Nursing, then you may begin working as a massage therapist for 90 days or less upon written authorization from the board.
If you were to fail the exam that you wish to take for certification, then your provisional certification will be withdrawn and you will no longer be eligible for massage therapy certification until you successfully complete and pass one of the approved exams relating to the massage therapy industry. These exams include the following:
- The National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork
- The National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage
- The Licensing Examination of the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards
- Or an exam deemed acceptable by the Virginia Board of Nursing
Massage License Renewal Process
You must renew your massage therapy license every two years after receiving your initial license. The cost for renewal in the state of Virginia is that of $95. Additionally, each application for renewal must include 24 continuing education credits/hours with one hour in the professional ethics course and at least 12 hours provided by an NCBTMB-approved provider.
A perk to being a first time renewal applicant is that you are exempt from the continuing education credit requirement. As you pursue your continuing education hours, be aware that you must keep full documentation for at least 4 years, in case of the event of a random audit.
Massage License Reciprocity
If you are a licensed massage therapist from another country, then you must meet certain requirements before you can become a certified practicing Virginia massage therapist. The following are the requirements:
- Approved educational requirements – must meet the guidelines set by the Virginia Board of Nursing.
- Pass the required examinations
- Submit a completed application
- Pay the required fee
If you are a licensed massage therapist in another United States jurisdiction, then you must also meet certain requirements to practice in the state of Virginia. These are as follows:
- Meet equivalent requirements to those who seek certification in the state of Virginia
- Be in good standing
- Submit a completed application
- Pay the required fee
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Respiratory Therapy
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- AAS - Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling