As you pursue your Massage Therapy License in the state of Oregon, be sure to follow all of the rules and regulations set for you by Oregon Board of Massage Therapists.
Here it is very easy to obtain an education, making the process towards licensing much easier. Additionally, the fees in Oregon to apply and become a massage therapist are not very high compared to other states in America.
In this article you will find the answers to many of your questions regarding massage schools, examinations, licensing and other necessary information to obtain your massage therapy license in the state of Oregon.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Oregon.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
In order for you to become a massage therapist in the state of Oregon, you must meet certain education, examination and additional licensing requirements set by the Oregon Board of Massage Therapists.
There are set standards, rules, guidelines and minimal requirements that are created for everyone to meet. There will be no exceptions, so please be sure that you read and follow directions very carefully as you pursue your massage therapy license here in Oregon.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
To qualify for becoming a massage therapist in the state of Oregon, you must meet the education requirements set by the Board. Additionally, you must pass the current Oregon Practical Exam and other Board approved written exams. As for the required educational hours, you must obtain a minimum of 500 in-class instructional hours, as well as training and hands-on experience.
This 500-hour requirement consists of 200 hours of health sciences (Anatomy and Physiology, Pathology and Kinesiology), as well as 300 hours of Massage Theory and Practical Application, Clinical Practice, Business Development, Communication, Ethics and Sanitation. These hours must be obtained and approved prior to you taking the Practical Exam.
For you to apply for your massage therapy license by examination, follow the link provided here to print and fill out the necessary forms to continue towards obtaining your license.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
The Oregon Board of Massage Therapists does not list qualified programs so it is up to you as the student to verify that your school of choice is teaching the curriculum required. Below is a list of some of the accredited and approved schools for you to consider:
- Ashland Institute of Massage, 280 East Hersey St. #A-8, Ashland, 97520, 541-482-5134
- Anthem College, 4145 SW Watson Ave. #300, Beaverton, 97005, 855-268-4365
- Sage School of Massage & Healing Arts, 369 NE Revere Ave., Bend, 97701, 541-419-5659
- Rogue Community College, 3345 Redwood Hwy, Grants Pass, 541-956-7284
- East West College, 525 NE Oregon St. #350, Portland, 97232, 503-297-3800
- Oregon School of Massage, 9500 SW Barbur Blvd. #100, Portland 97219, 503-244-1815
- University of Western States, 503-256-3180
- Oregon School of Massage, 2111 Front St. NE Bldg #3, Salem, 97301, 503-585-8912
- University of Western States, Chemeketa Salem Campus, Building 8- Office 113Z, Salem, 503-798-4741
- Everest Institute, 9600 SW Oak St. 4th Floor, Tigard, 97223, 503-892-8100
- Pioneer Pacific College, 27501 SW Parkway Ave., Wilsonville, 97070, 503-682-3903
For you to become fully licensed in the state of Oregon, you must first meet the educational requirements, pass the current Oregon Practical Exam, and pass a Board Approved Written Exam. You can access the forms handbook by clicking the link provided here: Application Handbook
Additionally, please be aware that there is a $50 application fee and a $150 examination fee.
Key Agencies / Boards involved and their contact information
The Oregon Board of Massage Therapists is the responsible organization for regulating and governing the practice of massage in the state of Oregon alone.
This particular board provides licensing, continuing education requirements, promotes education and administers tests for you and other aspiring massage therapists in the state.
The Board values accessibility, accountability, collaboration, communication and integrity within the massage industry in the state. Their vision is dedicated towards an ongoing relationship with you as the massage therapist and the public as a whole.
If you would like to contact the Oregon Board of Massage Therapists, please refer to the following information provided below:
The Oregon Board of Massage Therapists
748 Hawthorne Avenue NE
Salem, OR 97301
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm
Requirements to Start A Massage Business in Oregon (Massage Establishment License)
In Oregon, you will find that some cities require a facility fee prior to you establishing your massage therapy business. There is an application that you must fill out and submit to the Oregon Board of Massage Therapists prior to opening your massage establishment.
If you are interested in finding out more, please visit the link provided for opening a massage business in the state of Oregon: Facility Permit App. If you choose to pursue this application, please be aware that there is a $50 application fee for processing.
There are specific rules regarding facilities and sanitation for operating a business from home, if you choose to do so. However, it is your responsibility as the applicant to determine whether you are required to obtain a business license to work from home.
Massage License Renewal Process
If your license expires in October, November, or December you can renew your license online. If this is the case, you can click the provided link to take you to the online renewal page: Online Renewal.
Otherwise, use this link to apply for a renewal and to declare your continuing education credits: Renewal and CE Hours. The renewal fee is $100 and you must renew your massage therapy license at least every other year.
If this is your first renewal period, the continuing education hours are waived. Everyone else will need 25 hours with a minimum of 12 contact or hands-on hours. If taken with an instructor, CPR classes count as contact hours. Online courses are acceptable for non-contact hours.
Massage License Reciprocity
State Endorsement applications are reviewed on an individual basis and may be granted without further examination to applicants who are currently licensed in another state. The state’s licensing requirements must be equivalent to or exceed that of Oregon’s.
You must have passed a written and practical examination, which must be equivalent to or exceed the requirements set by the state of Oregon. Verification from the licensing agency and a copy of your current license must be submitted with the application. However, Oregon currently recognizes very few state programs.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
The field of technology is rapidly evolving to meet the growing demands of modern society. For those seeking a future in tech, this means maintaining skills, increasingknowledge and quickly adapting to change. For today’s students, however, successwill require dedication, commitment and access to education specifically designedto meet the demands of this dynamic industry.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology