Ohio was the first state to offer a license to qualified massage therapists and to also classify it as a “limited branch of the practice of medicine.” The state licensed its first applicant in the year 1916.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Ohio.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
You must attend an Ohio-approved Massage Therapy School, take the state licensing exam, pay a $150 application fee, and obtain a vendor’s license to practice massage therapy in Ohio.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
You must complete a minimum of 750 credit hours of schooling in no less than nine months from an institution that operates on an approved curriculum. Finally, you must take and pass the MBLEx.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
There are 68 approved schools in the state. Some of these include:
- Beckfield College: 225 Pictoria Drive, Cincinnati, OH 45246 – email@example.com
- Ehove Career Center: 316 West Mason Road, Milan, OH 44846 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hamrick School: 1156 Medina Rd., Medina, OH 44256 – email@example.com
- Kentucky Academy of Medical Massage: 5016 Main Street, Mays Lick, KY 41055
- Miami-Jacobs Career College: Columbus 150 E. Gay St., Columbus, OH 43215 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stark State College: 6200 Frank Avenue NW, Canton, OH 44720 – JBeacon@starkstate.edu
- Stautzenberger College-Brecksville: 8001 Katherine Blvd. Brecksville OH 44141 – email@example.com
- The Gibbons School of Massage Therapy: 3690 Orange Place, Beachwood, OH 44122
- Wayne College: 1901 Smucker Rd. Orville OH 44667 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Northcoast Medical Training Academy: 1832 St. Rt. 59, Kent Ohio 44224. 330-678-6600
You can click this link for the entire list of Approved Schools.
You must have a massage therapy diploma to be able to practice in Ohio. If you have any type of derogatory mark on your record, you will be licensed on a case-by-case basis.
You can get all the applications, instructions, and other forms here. The application fee is a flat $150. Make sure to enclose all forms and required documents or the license will not be issued and the fee will not be refunded.
Key Agencies/Boards Involved and their Contact Information
Rules and licensing are handled by the State Medical Board of Ohio which can be found at the State Medical Board office website.
You can contact the Ohio Medical Board of Massage Therapy for more information here:
30 East Broad St. 3rd Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Ohio (Massage Establishment License)
You must collect sales tax from your clients and report, remit, and relinquish the information to the state. The wall certificate you receive must be displayed in the place where a major portion of your practice is conducted.
To practice, you must then obtain one vendor’s license for each location at $25 per license. If you operate at a fixed location, you must contact the county auditor where your practice is located for the required forms.
However, if you have no fixed location, you must obtain a transient vendor’s license from the State Department of Taxation for $25, the application of which can be found here.
Massage License Renewal Process
You have to renew your license every two years; and the cost is $50/ 2 years. You will need to send in your application along with your money at the same time.
Applications are processed in the order that they are received, so make sure that you don’t cause yourself unwanted delays by forgetting to complete the application.
Massage License Reciprocity
Ohio does recognize licenses issued by other states, if you have practiced massage therapy for the last five years. While reciprocity is not generally practiced, holding a current massage therapy license from another state does qualify you to take the MBLEx and to apply for an Ohio license for $150.
Here are some other requirements:
- If your license is not current, you may apply for an Ohio license as long as you attended an Ohio-approved school.
- You should request an application for approval be sent to your school if you graduated from a non-approved institution.
- Approval time is about ten to twelve weeks.
- If you are without an Ohio issued massage therapy license, you are only allowed to practice relaxation massage.
- Ohio will verify your license information to another state for a fee of $50.
You can add services to your practice by attending classes to gain certification for things like acupuncture, cosmetic therapy, and even chiropractic services. You can get all the information you need about how to continue your education on the State board’s site.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
We know that you want to learn more than just the basics, so we do things a little differently. Our focus is on you—the student—as a whole. At CMSM you will learn valuable business, life, and communication skills which set you apart from other massage therapists—skills that prepare you to achieve success both professionally and personally.
- Massage Therapy
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- AAS - Occupational Therapy Assistant
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma