Firstly, Ohio was the first state to offer a license to qualified massage therapists and to also classify it as a “limited branch of the practice of medicine.”
The state-licensed its first applicant in the year 1916.
So scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Ohio.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
And also, you must attend an Ohio-approved Massage Therapy School.
So take the state licensing exam, pay a $150 application fee.
And also, obtain a vendor’s license to practice massage therapy in Ohio.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
Furthermore, you must complete a minimum of 750 credit hours of schooling in no less than nine months from an institution that operates on an approved curriculum.
Finally, you must take and pass the MBLEx.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
So there are 68 approved schools in the state. Some of these include:
- Beckfield College: 225 Victoria Drive, Cincinnati, OH 45246 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ehove Career Center: 316 West Mason Road, Milan, OH 44846 – email@example.com
- Hamrick School: 1156 Medina Rd., Medina, OH 44256 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kentucky Academy of Medical Massage: 5016 Main Street, Mays Lick, KY 41055
- Miami-Jacobs Career College: Columbus 150 E. Gay St., Columbus, OH 43215 – email@example.com
- Stark State College: 6200 Frank Avenue NW, Canton, OH 44720 – JBeacon@starkstate.edu
- Stautzenberger College-Brecksville: 8001 Katherine Blvd. Brecksville OH 44141 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Gibbons School of Massage Therapy: 3690 Orange Place, Beachwood, OH 44122
- Wayne College: 1901 Smucker Rd. Orville OH 44667 – email@example.com
- Northcoast Medical Training Academy: 1832 St. Rt. 59, Kent Ohio 44224. 330-678-6600
And also, you can click this link for the entire list of Approved Schools.
So you must have a massage therapy diploma to be able to practice in Ohio.
And also, if you have any type of derogatory mark on your record.
So you will be licensed on a case-by-case basis.
However, you can get all the applications, instructions, and other forms here.
The application fee is a flat $150.
So make sure to enclose all forms and required documents or the license will not be issued and the fee will not be refunded.
Key Agencies/Boards Involved and their Contact Information
Rules and licensing are handled by the State Medical Board of Ohio which can be found at the State Medical Board official website.
You can contact the Ohio Medical Board of Massage Therapy for more information here:
30 East Broad St. 3rd Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Ohio (Massage Establishment License)
Therefore, you must collect sales tax from your clients and report, remit, and relinquish the information to the state.
The wall certificate you receive must be displayed in the place where a major portion of your practice is conducted.
To practice, you must then obtain one vendor’s license for each location at $25 per license.
And also, if you operate at a fixed location.
So you must contact the county auditor where your practice is located for the required forms.
However, if you have no fixed location, you must obtain a transient vendor’s license from the State Department of Taxation for $25.
So the application of which can be found here.
Massage License Renewal Process
You have to renew your license every two years, and the cost is $50/ 2 years.
You will need to send in your application along with your money at the same time.
Applications are processed in the order that they are received.
So make sure that you don’t cause yourself unwanted delays by forgetting to complete the application.
And also, you can download the application form here.
You can find more information on fees and other charges on the State board’s website.
However, in any event, you may renew by mail or online.
Massage License Reciprocity
Ohio does recognize licenses issued by other states.
So if you have practised massage therapy for the last five years.
While reciprocity is not generally practised, holding a current massage therapy license from another state does qualify you to take the MBLEx and to apply for an Ohio license for $150.
Here are some other requirements:
- If your license is not current, you may apply for an Ohio license as long as you attended an Ohio-approved school.
- You should request an application for approval be sent to your school if you graduated from a non-approved institution.
- Approval time is about ten to twelve weeks.
- If you are without an Ohio issued massage therapy license, you are only allowed to practice relaxation massage.
- Ohio will verify your license information to another state for a fee of $50.
And also, you can add services to your practice by attending classes to gain certification for things like acupuncture, cosmetic therapy, and even chiropractic services.
So you can get all the information you need about how to continue your education on the State board’s site.
Note: Specific personal information, office addresses, fees, payments etc.
So may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date.
So please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you.
And also, we have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE.
Lastly, wlease do so and take that first step toward a better future.
Pursue your education with Platt College (Oklahoma). We offer hands-on training programs in the culinary arts, allied health, and nursing fields.
*Programs vary by location.
*High school diploma or GED required.
*Licensed by OBPVS.
- Massage Therapy
Take your career to the next step with IntelliTec College. We offer programs for careers in the business, computer, healthcare, beauty & personal appearance, technical trades and exercise & wellness fields at our three campuses in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Massage Therapy
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
- Massage Therapy
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapy
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapist
Miller-Motte Colleges and Miller-Motte Technical Colleges comprise the Miller-Motte family of schools which is part of Ancora Education. For over a century, Miller-Motte has been a reputable leader in private career education.
- Massage Therapy
The Center For Natural Wellness School of Massage Therapy Offers:
- Full-time and Part-time Classes
- Hands-On Training in multiple modalities of bodywork
- Experienced and Dedicated Faculty
- Innovative and Cutting-edge Curriculum
- Financial Aid for those who qualify
- Scholarship and Grant Opportunities
- LIFETIME Career Placement Services
The Center for Natural Wellness School of Massage Therapy is the perfect place to start training for your massage therapy career.
- Diploma in Massage Therapy
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Advanced Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program