Firstly, North Carolina is by far one of the most beautiful and attractive places in the world to work as a massage therapist.
So there are boundless mountains, including the Blue Ridge Parkway, as well as the crystal blue, warm and relaxing beaches.
Thousands of people come to visit North Carolina year-round.
As it is a historic landmark with cultural and also, historical sites for people to visit.
Aside from being an attractive tourist location, there are over ten million people that reside in North Carolina alone.
So making it a very desirable and opportunistic place to settle, work and succeed as a massage therapist.
To become a massage therapist in the state of North Carolina.
And also, you will be required to attend a school, take the required examinations and apply to operate as a small business owner.
Serving the people of North Carolina.
As well as the visitors to this region.
Is an exciting a vibrant choice to make.
To help you make your decision.
Because this article will go into full detail as to what the requirements are for you to work here effectively and properly.
Continue reading to find out more.
So scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in North Carolina.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
And also, every therapist in the state of North Carolina must be fully licensed to operate and work as a massage therapist.
As stated by the North Carolina Board of Massage & Bodywork Therapy.
“So anyone who falls under the scope of practice definition in the Massage and Bodywork Therapy Practice Act will be required to apply for a license.”
Legally, if you are engaging in any activity related to soft tissues in the human body for therapeutic, educational or relaxation purposes.
So then North Carolina requires a license prior to working or pursuing this type of career.
However, there is an exception to this rule; practitioners of certain energy-based.
And also, movement repatterning techniques whose work meets specific criteria for exemption may be without a license.
In addition, North Carolina has an education standard that is comparable and also, highly regarded to as that of other states.
But, the guidelines and rules are much stricter here, particularly.
So when it comes to which school you may attend.
Like other states, any fees that you pay to North Carolina are non-refundable.
So it is very important that you send in a completed application with the appropriate information and documents attached.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
To be considered for a massage therapy license in the state of North Carolina.
And also, you must first complete and submit all required documents to the North Carolina Board of Massage & Bodywork Therapy as well as attend an NC Board Approved school.
And also, in North Carolina, accreditation is a voluntary process where Board Approval is required.
Not all schools choose to become accredited and funded for Financial Aid purposes.
So one of the perceived advantages of this ‘optionality‘ is that some schools decide to choose their massage students wisely instead of being forced to take anyone who is qualified for financial aid under Title IV funding.
And also, their contact information has been provided to you below:
The North Carolina Board of Massage & Bodywork Therapy
Wells Fargo Building
150 Fayetteville Street, Suite 1900
Raleigh, NC 27601
Aside from submitting an application, you must also complete the required amount of credit hours towards your education in massage therapy.
Furthermore, North Carolina requires that you successfully complete a course of study in the field of massage and bodywork therapy consisting of a minimum of 500 in-class hours.
Because these hours must be supervised by an instructor at a Board-approved school.
Either an exempted North Carolina Community College program, as approved by the Board.
So you must meet one of the three following requirements as set by the Board:
- Graduate from a Board-approved school (a list has been provided for you below), or an exempted North Carolina College program.
- After you have graduated, your school of choice must send to the Board an official sealed transcript and a verification of the official curriculum form;
- Graduate from an out-of-state school that has not been approved by the North Carolina Board of Massage and Bodywork Therapy.
- So if this is the case, then you must submit the following documents for consideration to the Board:
- Furthermore, a photocopy of the school’s current license to operate
- And a copy of the most recent school catalogue
- And a copy of the program curriculum
- An official sealed transcript sent to the Board
- So a verification of official curriculum form
- Or, if you have graduated from a school that is no longer in operation.
- So then you must complete an Affidavit of Professional Training, which attests to your course of study and date of graduation.
- Because if this is the case, then you will need to submit any school documents you may have at the time with the Affidavit of Professional Training Form.
- The Board will then review your affidavit and approve it at their discretion.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
Community Colleges that are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Either massage or bodywork programs offered by a college or university that are accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the DOE.
And also, is licensed by the North Carolina Community College System of the University of North Carolina Board of Governors, are exempt from approval by the Board.
The Board has only approved nineteen massage therapy schools for the period of July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2014.
They are the following:
- American & European Massage Clinic, Inc. in Raleigh
- Medical Arts School in Raleigh
- Asheville School of Massage and Yoga in Asheville
- Miller-Motte Technical College in Cary
- Body Therapy Institute in Siler City
- Miller-Motte Technical College in Fayetteville
- College of Wilmington in Wilmington
- Miller-Motte Technical College in Greenville
- Center for Massage & Natural Health in Asheville
- Miller-Motte Technical College in Wilmington
- The Healing Arts and Massage School in Raleigh
- Mount Eagle Institute in Winston Salem
- Kneaded Energy School of Massage in Greensboro
- North Carolina Massage School in Cornelius
- Living Arts Institute in Winston Salem
- North Carolina School of Advanced Bodywork in Fairview
- Southeastern Institute in Charlotte
- Maiden School of Bodywork Therapy in Maiden
- Therapeutic Massage Training Institute in Charlotte
As well as, mentioned above, all therapists in the state of North Carolina must be licensed per the Massage and Bodywork Therapy Practice Act.
After completing your required schooling.
So you must then request from the North Carolina Board of Massage & Bodywork Therapy, an application packet that they will send to your mailing address.
So once you have received that package, you will be required to enclose and meet the following for a completed application process:
- Meet the requirements for licensure
- Complete the Application Form and submit it with all the required documentation
- Enclose one original passport size phot0 of yourself
- Enclose the $150 Licensure Fee; this may be in the form of a certified check or a money order
- Enclose the $40 SBI Criminal History Report fee
- Include your fingerprint card
- Sign and date the consent form
- Other documents that may be required or requested by the Board
To request the License Application Packet, you must download the “Application Request Form” from the Document Center on the Board’s website.
Once the form is completed, mail it to the Board with a $20 application fee.
Because this fee must either be a money order or a cashier’s check; other forms of payment will not be accepted.
Once the Application Request Form and $20 has been received.
So the Board will then mail you the application packet to fill out.
Along with the packet, you will find the required forms as well as an instructional handbook to review.
Key Agencies / Boards involved and their contact information
And also, the North Carolina Board of Massage & Bodywork Therapy is the primary organization that oversees and also, regulates the massage therapy industry in this particular state.
So within the Board, the Board’s License Standard’s Committee is responsible for approving license applications.
The Board is an excellent place to learn more about what is required of you to operate as a massage therapist in the state of North Carolina.
So feel free to contact them at any time with any questions or concerns you may have.
Requirements to Start a Massage Business or School in North Carolina (Massage Establishment License)
And also, to open a Board-approved school.
So you must download a New School Application Request Form.
Otherwise, all licensed and practising massage therapists must represent themselves to the public through advertising or business with first name or nickname and last name of the record.
And also, followed by the letters LMBT and license number or, on a separate line, the words Licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapist followed by the license number.
And also, if you are working in a business with an assumed name.
So you must register all assumed names with the Register of Deeds in the county where your business is located and mail a copy of the assumed name certificate to the Board.
All advertisements for businesses using an assumed name must still list license numbers and also, professional designation for all licensees working in the establishment.
Alternatively, if you choose to advertise your business.
So you are at liberty to use the following words: Services provided by North Carolina Licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapists.
You may only promote services you are qualified to perform and also, must be able to provide documentation of professional training for any speciality or service you offer.
Massage License Renewal Process
And also, once you are licensed, you will find that there will come a time where you will need to renew.
Furthermore, the renewal process may be completed online at the North Carolina Board of Massage & Bodywork Therapy website.
And also, you can follow the link here.
So to complete the online renewal you will need your license number.
So the last four digits of your social security number or your previous renewal password.
And also, a list of the 24 hours of approved continuing education (because you will have to list them) and also, a MasterCard, Visa or debit card for the $100 renewal fee.
So you must also answer declaration questions about your moral character and an affirmation.
That you have read the Act governing your profession and rules of conduct.
And also, a copy of which you can find on the Board’s website, at this address.
Massage License Reciprocity
And also, if you have graduated from an out-of-state school then you must provide proof of passing one of the following exams:
- Furthermore, the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx)
- So the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCETMB)
- And also, the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage (NCETM)
- NESL options for the NCETMB and NCETM or The Asian Bodywork Therapy Examination (ABTE) offered by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM)
Additionally, if you are from out-of-state may apply for Licensure by Endorsement,
So which takes 3 to 6 months and is explained in detail on the website under subheading License by Endorsement.
Or, if you graduated from an out-of-state school.
And also, you may submit a photocopy of the school’s license to operate.
However, the school catalogue, the program curriculum.
Hence, an official sealed transcript sent directly to the Board and a verification of official curriculum form.
Note: Specific personal information, office addresses, fees, payments etc.
So may change over time.
Although we do our best to keep this site up to date.
So please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
So here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you.
And also, we have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE.
Lastly, please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Massage Therapy
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Advanced Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapy
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
- Massage Therapy/Therapist
- Massage Therapy
- Esthetician / Massage Therapy
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Nursing Field
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future
- Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!