New Mexico is an excellent state to own and operate a massage therapy business, as the opportunities are endless and make for endless success. Here, there are about 3,000 licensed practitioners, making this state an open book for you to unfold.
With such beautiful landscapes, a promising career and much to look forward to, you can count on New Mexico to be a place of achievement. So what are you waiting for? Begin your journey towards becoming a successful massage therapist here in the state of New Mexico.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in New Mexico.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
The state of New Mexico requires quite a bit from you as an aspiring massage therapist and asks that you meet and exceed the rules and requirements set by the Board. There are very specific education, licensing and renewal processes that you must follow or you will not be granted a license. Continue reading this article to find out more information about the massage industry in this particular state.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
The state of New Mexico requires that you take and complete at least a 650-hour massage therapy program at an approved school or institute. The following information is the breakdown of the entire 650 hours and what topics you will be learning:
- 165 required hours of Anatomy and Physiology. This includes a minimum of 40 hours in Pathology as well.
- 150 hours of massage therapy training. This will include contraindications of massage therapy and a minimum of 100 hours of hands on training. This hand on training must be completed before you may begin a clinical practicum.
- 75 hours of general instruction. This will include Business education, Hydrotherapy, 30 hours of Professional Ethics, 4 hours of First Aid and 4 hours of CPR.
- You may choose from the following electives:
- Additional Massage Therapy Hands On Training
- Related Hands-On Courses
- Additional Anatomy and Physiology
- A Clinical Practicum (this should not exceed 150 hours)
- Breathing and Stretching Techniques
Licensure Qualifying Programs
The following massage therapy schools have been pre-approved by the New Mexico Massage Therapy Board and are available to you for your required education. If you would like to contact any of these programs or schools, please feel free to use the following information:
Abaton Center of Healing Arts
4328 Mesa Grande SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108
Albuquerque School of Massage Therapy & Health Sciences
10590 2nd Street NW Suite A
Albuquerque, NM 87114
New Mexico School of Natural Therapeutics
202 Morningside Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108
Universal Therapeutic Massage Institute UTMI
3410 Aztec Road NE
Albuquerque, NM 87107
Mountain Meadow Massage School
101 Mader Lane
Alto, NM 88312
Artesia Family Wellness Center
Artesia, NM 88211
Taos School of Massage
El Prado, NM 87529
Northern New Mexico College
921 Paseo De Onate
Espanola, NM 87532
The Medicine Wheel
1243 B West Apache Street
Farmington, NM 87401
Muscle Therapy Center
1711 N Jefferson Street
Hobbs, NM 88240
Body Care School Healing Arts
2032 Rose Lane
Las Cruces, NM 88005
Massage Therapy Training Institute
2701 W. Picacho #4
Las Cruces, NM 88007
New Mexico Massage School
2810 Sudderth Drive #207
Ruidoso, NM 88345
Santa Fe School of Massage
1091-A Siler Road
Santa Fe, NM 87507
The New Mexico Academy of Healing Arts
501 Franklin Avenue
Santa Fe, NM 87501
The Scherer Institute of Natural Healing
1091 A Siler Road
Santa Fe, NM 87507
University of New Mexico
115 Civic Plaza Drive
Taos, NM 87571
As mentioned above, the state of New Mexico requires you to obtain at least 650 hours of in class instruction from an approved Massage Therapy School. In addition to your education, you must also have a passing score on the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork or the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination. In addition to the schooling and examination requirements you must also complete the following actions for licensure:
- Complete and submit your application for massage licensure.
- An application fee of $75 must accompany your application.
- Complete the Jurisprudence Examination that will be sent to you after the Board has given you the application packet.
- Submit a passport size photo of yourself (2×2).
- A current copy of your GED or high school diploma.
- Copy of your current CPR card.
- An official transcript mailed from the school where you obtained your education sent directly to the Board.
- Proof that you took and passed one of the national massage therapy examinations. This must be sent from the organization directly to the Board.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
The New Mexico Massage Therapy Board is the primary organization that oversees all practitioners and licensed massage therapists in the state of New Mexico. The Board’s goal is to ensure safety and quality to all clients of the massage therapy industry in New Mexico.
Additionally, the Board works to provide educational and continuing educational standards for all massage therapists to meet. If you would like to access the Board feel free to contact them at the following address and phone number:
Massage Therapy Board
Toney Anaya Building
2550 Cerrillos Road, Second Floor
Santa Fe, New Mexico
P.O. Box 25101
Santa Fe, NM 87505
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in New Mexico (Massage Establishment License)
Starting your massage business in the state of New Mexico can be an exciting yet lengthy process. There are several rules and guidelines that you will need to follow.
To begin, be sure to take a look at the New Mexico state business webpage to get a better understanding of what will be expected of you and your new massage business here. Below are some important factors that will need to play into you beginning your new business:
- Write a Business Plan – include goals, marketing plans, financial projections and what you expect your massage business to become.
- Choose what structure you would like your business to operate as – a sole proprietorship, a partnership or a corporation.
- Obtain a tax ID number for tax purposes.
- Obtain funding.
- Select a location for where your business will operate.
- Obtain your personal massage therapy license.
- Register your business name.
The “Starting Out: A Guide to Creating Your Own New Mexico Business” is an excellent resource for starting your business here in the New Mexico area.
Massage License Renewal Process
For massage license renewal, you are required to complete 16 contact hours of continuing education. These continuing education hours must be completed within 2 years prior to the renewal date, which is always October 31st.
You must keep complete documentation of all completed continuing education hours, which should include the provider’s information and the course description. The following continuing education programs have been approved and are accepted by the Board:
- Courses, seminars, workshops and classes that relate specifically to massage therapy. These may include topics on massage, bodywork, health care, psychology, anatomy, business, movement therapy, yoga, CPR, first aid and insurance.
- Courses offered by approved schools and programs.
- Publishing an article related to the massage therapy industry. This article may be published in either a local, regional or national publication.
- Any technique courses you take must be hands on.
Once you have completed all of your continuing education hours, you will be able to renew your massage license online. You will receive a renewal notification postcard or package in the mail that will give you a registration number.
This registration number will be used on the online renewal process. To renew your massage license online, please visit the link here.
To accompany your renewal application, you will also be required to pay a Biennial Renewal Fee of $125. If your renewal is late, the Board will add an additional Late Renewal Penalty Fee of $75
Massage License Reciprocity
The state of New Mexico does allow massage therapists to apply for reciprocity. If you work and live in another state or territory, the massage therapy education you received must be from an accredited institution or college. The school from which you graduated from must submit a Form A along with a copy of your official transcripts directly to the Board.
However, the state of New Mexico requires you to be licensed by the New Mexico Therapy Board in order to practice massage therapy here. You may be required to meet certain education and application requirements prior to working.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Physical Therapy Aide
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Respiratory Therapy
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions