First of all, New Mexico is an excellent state to own and also, operate a massage therapy business.
As well as, the opportunities are endless and also, make for endless success.
So here, there are about 3,000 licensed practitioners, making this state an open book for you to unfold.
With such beautiful landscapes, a promising career and also, much to look forward to.
So you can count on New Mexico to be a place of achievement.
So what are you waiting for?
Begin your journey towards becoming a successful massage therapist here in the state of New Mexico.
So scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in New Mexico.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
Because the state of New Mexico requires quite a bit from you as an aspiring massage therapist and also, asks that you meet and exceed the rules and requirements set by the Board.
So there is very specific education, licensing and also, renewal processes that you must follow or you will not grant a license.
Continue reading this article to find out more information about the massage industry in this particular state.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
So the state of New Mexico requires that you take and complete at least a 650-hour massage therapy program at an approved school or institute.
However, the following information is the breakdown of the entire 650 hours and also, what topics you will be learning:
- 165 required hours of Anatomy and Physiology.
- Because this includes a minimum of 40 hours in Pathology as well.
- 150 hours of massage therapy training. This will include contraindications of massage therapy and also, a minimum of 100 hours of hands-on training.
- Because this hands-on training must be completed before you may begin a clinical practicum.
- 75 hours of general instruction.
- Because this will include Business education, Hydrotherapy, 30 hours of Professional Ethics, 4 hours of First Aid and also, 4 hours of CPR.
- And also, you may choose from the following electives:
- Additional Massage Therapy Hands-On Training
- Related Hands-On Courses
- Additional Anatomy and also, Physiology
- A Clinical Practicum (this should not exceed 150 hours)
- Breathing and Stretching Techniques
Licensure Qualifying Programs
So the following massage therapy schools have been pre-approved by the New Mexico Massage Therapy Board and are available to you for your required education.
And also, if you would like to contact any of these programs or schools.
So please feel free to use the following information:
Abaton Center of Healing Arts
4328 Mesa Grande SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108
Albuquerque School of Massage Therapy & Health Sciences
10590 2nd Street NW Suite A
Albuquerque, NM 87114
New Mexico School of Natural Therapeutics
202 Morningside Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108
Universal Therapeutic Massage Institute UTMI
3410 Aztec Road NE
Albuquerque, NM 87107
Mountain Meadow Massage School
101 Mader Lane
Alto, NM 88312
Artesia Family Wellness Center
Artesia, NM 88211
Taos School of Massage
El Prado, NM 87529
Northern New Mexico College
921 Paseo De Onate
Espanola, NM 87532
The Medicine Wheel
1243 B West Apache Street
Farmington, NM 87401
Muscle Therapy Center
1711 N Jefferson Street
Hobbs, NM 88240
Body Care School Healing Arts
2032 Rose Lane
Las Cruces, NM 88005
Massage Therapy Training Institute
2701 W. Picacho #4
Las Cruces, NM 88007
New Mexico Massage School
2810 Sudderth Drive #207
Ruidoso, NM 88345
Santa Fe School of Massage
1091-A Siler Road
Santa Fe, NM 87507
The New Mexico Academy of Healing Arts
501 Franklin Avenue
Santa Fe, NM 87501
The Scherer Institute of Natural Healing
1091 A Siler Road
Santa Fe, NM 87507
University of New Mexico
115 Civic Plaza Drive
Taos, NM 87571
Mostly, as mentioned above, the state of New Mexico requires you to obtain at least 650 hours of in-class instruction from an approved Massage Therapy School.
In addition to your education, you must also have a passing score on the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and also, Bodywork or the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination.
In addition to the schooling and examination requirements you must also complete the following actions for licensure:
- Therefore, complete and submit your application for massage licensure.
- An application fee of $75 must accompany your application.
- Complete the Jurisprudence Examination that will be sent to you after the Board has given you the application packet.
- Submit a passport size photo of yourself (2×2).
- And also, a current copy of your GED or high school diploma.
- Copy of your current CPR card.
- An official transcript mailed from the school where you obtained your education sent directly to the Board.
- Furthermore,,proof that you took and passed one of the national massage therapy examinations.
- So this must be sent from the organization directly to the Board.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
And also, the New Mexico Massage Therapy Board is the primary organization that oversees all practitioners and also, licensed massage therapists in the state of New Mexico.
So the Board’s goal is to ensure safety and quality to all clients of the massage therapy industry in New Mexico.
Additionally, the Board works to provide educational and continuing education standards for all massage therapists to meet.
So if you would like to access the Board feel free to contact them at the following address and phone number:
Massage Therapy Board
Toney Anaya Building
2550 Cerrillos Road, Second Floor
Santa Fe, New Mexico
P.O. Box 25101
Santa Fe, NM 87505
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in New Mexico (Massage Establishment License)
Starting your massage business in the state of New Mexico can be an exciting yet lengthy process.
So there are several rules and guidelines that you will need to follow.
To begin, be sure to take a look at the New Mexico state business webpage to get a better understanding of what will be expected of you and your new massage business here.
Below are some important factors that will need to play into you beginning your new business:
- Write a Business Plan – includes goals, marketing plans, financial projections and also, what you expect your massage business to become.
- However, choose what structure you would like your business to operate as – a sole proprietorship, a partnership or a corporation.
- Obtain a tax ID number for tax purposes.
- Obtain funding.
- Select a location for where your business will operate.
- Obtain your personal massage therapy license.
- Register your business name.
The “Starting Out: A Guide to Creating Your Own New Mexico Business” is an excellent resource for starting your business here in the New Mexico area.
Massage License Renewal Process
For massage license renewal, you are required to complete 16 contact hours of continuing education.
Because these continuing education hours must be completed within 2 years prior to the renewal date, which is always October 31st.
So you must keep complete documentation of all completed continuing education hours.
Because which should include the provider’s information and also, the course description.
The following continuing education programs have been approved and also, are accepted by the Board:
- Courses, seminars, workshops and classes that relate specifically to massage therapy.
- Because these may include topics on massage, bodywork, health care, psychology, anatomy, business, movement therapy, yoga, CPR, first aid and insurance.
- Courses offered by approved schools and programs.
- So publishing an article related to the massage therapy industry.
- And also, this article may be published in either a local, regional or national publication.
- Therefore, any technique courses you take must be hands on.
So once you have completed all of your continuing education hours.
And also, you will be able to renew your massage license online.
Furthermore, you will receive a renewal notification postcard or package in the mail that will give you a registration number.
Because this registration number will be used in the online renewal process.
So to renew your massage license online, please visit the link here.
To accompany your renewal application, you will also be required to pay a Biennial Renewal Fee of $125.
And also, if your renewal is late, the Board will add an additional Late Renewal Penalty Fee of $75
Massage License Reciprocity
So the state of New Mexico does allow massage therapists to apply for reciprocity.
Because if you work and live in another state or territory, the massage therapy education you received must be from an accredited institution or college.
Hence, the school from which you graduated from must submit a Form A along with a copy of your official transcripts directly to the Board.
However, the state of New Mexico requires you to be licensed by the New Mexico Therapy Board in order to practice massage therapy here.
Furthermore, you may be required to meet certain education and also, application requirements prior to working.
Note: Specific personal information, office addresses, fees, payments etc.
May change over time.
Although we do our best to keep this site up to date.
So please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you.
So we have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE.
Please do so and also, take that first step toward a better future.
At American Institute, we believe you can become whatever you want to be, and we’re ready to help you get there. We pride ourselves on working hard to deliver quality, innovative education to our students that gives them the skills to begin or enhance their careers. We try to help our students meet their goals of changing or enhancing their careers, and also help prospective employers of our graduates in meeting the workforce needs of the 21st century while actively participating in the communities we operate within.
- Massage Therapy
Pursue your education with Platt College (Oklahoma). We offer hands-on training programs in the culinary arts, allied health, and nursing fields.
*Programs vary by location.
*High school diploma or GED required.
*Licensed by OBPVS.
- Massage Therapy
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Massage Therapy
Get hands-on training with South Texas Vocational Technical Institute. We offer a number of diploma programs in the skilled trades and health and wellness fields at our campuses in Weslaco, Corpus Christi, McAllen, San Antonio, and Brownsville, Texas.
- Professional Massage Therapy
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Advanced Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Take your career to the next step with IntelliTec College. We offer programs for careers in the business, computer, healthcare, beauty & personal appearance, technical trades and exercise & wellness fields at our three campuses in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and Grand Junction, Colorado.
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapy
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Therapeutic Massage
As a student at Southeastern College, you will gain the training, skills, and knowledge you need to prepare for a rewarding career.
- Massage Therapy/Terapia de Masaje
- Diploma in Professional Clinical Massage Therapy
Miller-Motte Colleges and Miller- Motte Technical Colleges comprise the Miller-Motte family of schools which is part of Ancora Education. For over a century, Miller-Motte has been a reputable leader in private career education.
- Massage Therapy