Through Missouri flows one of the largest bodies of water in the United States, known as the Mississippi River. Known for its Algonquian Indian history, Missouri means “river of big canoes”. Here, with so much landscape beauty and rivers and lakes, a massage business would flourish and become a success nearly overnight.
Wouldn’t you like to join the 4,000 other licensed practitioners here that have made a name for themselves and are earning quite a substantial amount of income? Begin your journey in Missouri working towards a career that will take you to new heights; a massage therapy career.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Missouri.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
The state of Missouri has set some rules and guidelines for you to follow as an aspiring massage therapist. In this article you will find all of the schooling, licensure, renewal and reciprocity information that you might need to begin your massage therapy career. Continue reading to find out more about this growing industry specific to the state of Missouri.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
To begin working towards your massage therapy license in Missouri, you must first embark on the educational requirements. In this particular state, you will be required to have at least 500 hours of supervised instruction at an approved Massage Therapy Program or School. The breakdown of these hours is as follows:
- 300 hours must be dedicated to massage theory and practice techniques.
- 100 hours must be taken in the topics of anatomy and physiology.
- 50 hours must be dedicated to business practices, ethics, and hygiene and massage law as it applies to the state of Missouri.
- 50 hours must be taken in ancillary therapies. This will include CPR training and First Aid.
In addition to the educational requirements, you must also take and pass one of the following nationally recognized massage therapy examinations:
- National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCETMB)
- National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage (NCETM)
- Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx)
- Asian Bodywork Therapy (ABT) Examination
Licensure Qualifying Programs
To meet the 500-hour educational requirement, you will need to seek out an approved massage therapy program in the state of Missouri. To begin your search, you may consider the following schools that have already been approved by the Board:
3420 Rider Trail South
Earth City, MO 63045
St. Louis College of Health Careers
1297 North Highway Drive
Fenton, MO 63026
Orler School of Massage Therapy
2329 South Jackson
Joplin, MO 64804
Pinnacle Career Institute
1001 East 101st Terrace #325
Kansas City, MO 64131
WellSpring School of Allied Health
9140 Ward Parkway #100
Kansas City, MO 64114
10910 Manchester Road
Kirkwood, MO 63122
A Gathering Place Massage Therapy School
12131 Dorsett Road
Maryland Heights, MO 63043
3131 Frederick Avenue
St. Joseph, O 64506
Healing Arts Center
2601 South Big Bend Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63143
St. Louis College of Health Careers
909 South Taylor Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110
Professional Massage Training Center
229 East Commercial St.
Springfield, MO 65803
To be considered for licensure in the state of Missouri, you must meet and submit the following information:
- A completed application sent directly to the Board along with the Initial Licensure Fee of $200.
- Verification that you successfully completed a 500-hour massage therapy program at an approved school. You will need to request that the massage therapy school send your official transcripts with the stamp or seal on the backside of the envelope over the sealed flap. A transcript submitted by you as the applicant will not be accepted.
- You must submit a Background Check.
- Proof of taking and passing one of the nationally recognized massage therapy exams. This verification must be sent directly for the organization to the Board.
- A 2×2 passport size photograph must be submitted along with your application.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
The Missouri Board of Therapeutic Massage is the primary organization that has been created to oversee and govern the massage industry specific to the state of Missouri. If you would like to speak with a representative, please feel free to contact the Board directly at the following information:
Missouri Board of Therapeutic Massage
3605 Missouri Boulevard
P.O. Box 1335
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1335
Requirements to Start A Massage Business in Missouri (Massage Establishment License)
The Board of Therapeutic Massage has specific guidelines for operating as a massage business in the state of Missouri. Business information has been provided on the Board’s website, which you can find by following the link provided here. To operate a massage therapy business, you must meet the following specified rules and regulations:
- You must agree to only allow trained and licensed massage therapists to work in your establishment,
- You must ensure that no employee practices beyond the scope of licensure or beyond their personal and professional expertise,
- Obtain and maintain a copy of the professional liability insurance that is required upon application,
- You must ensure that all employees and massage therapists wear appropriate, clean clothing that meet the hygiene requirements set by the state of Missouri,
- Display in an open area your massage therapy business license and massage therapist license with a photograph of each therapist taken within the last 2 years,
- Maintain responsibly the records of all clients for at least 3 years,
- Have proof of your business location and address on file with the Board,
- Meet all building fire codes and zoning codes as set by the state and local government,
- Provide a safe working environment,
- Maintain clean working materials,
- All furniture used in the massage therapy business must remain clean and maintained,
- Only conduct massage therapy in designated areas within the building,
- No animals should be allowed in the massage therapy treatment areas at any time, with the exception of service animals.
Massage License Renewal Process
To renew your massage therapy license, you will be required to take and acquire 12 continuing education hours over the course of 2 years. You must have taken and completed these continuing education hours prior to the expiration date set for your massage license.
In addition to the continuing education hours, you must also renew your license through the Board and submit a $200 renewal fees.
Massage License Reciprocity
If you are currently licensed as a massage therapist in a state or territory other than Missouri and would like to move to this state, then you may apply for reciprocity. To do so, you must request that verification of your license or certification be submitted directly to the Board by each state or territory from which your license was granted.
In the application form you will find a Verification of Licensure Form, which should be filled out and returned to the Board. The form should be filled out by the state and mailed to the Board directly from the state or territory where your certification or license was held.
To accompany your application, you must also submit a 2×2 passport size photo of your face and shoulders, a background check and the associated reciprocity fees.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Aide
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Respiratory Therapy
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions