The state of Maine is the most upper location of the United States. Here, the Canadian and New England influence is very prominent, making it an experience worth having.
Living in Maine and working as a massage therapist is something you will definitely enjoy. Here nearly 2,500 individuals are licensed and work as massage therapists. This article will help explain how you too can become a part of this growing and budding industry here in the cool climate of Maine.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Maine.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
Maine requires several steps to be taken prior to becoming licensed as a massage therapist. You must complete a full curriculum of education hours, apply to the Massage Board and meet certain licensing requirements. Continue reading this article to receive more in-depth information regarding the application and licensing process.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
The state of Maine requires that you obtain at least 500 hours to meet the educational component to obtaining your massage therapy license. The following is the breakdown of the total 500-hour curriculum:
- 120 hours of Human Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology
- Massage Therapy Theory, Technique, and Practice. This should include Gliding Strokes, Kneading, Direct Pressure, Deep Friction, Percussion, Vibration, Rocking, etc.
- A minimum of 100 hours in hands-on practice
- You must also obtain a First Aid/CPR certification and will not count towards the 500 minimum curriculum hours
- Be able to demonstrate that you completed the core curriculum
In addition to the 500-hour curriculum requirement, you must also receive a passing score on the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork or the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
There are several approved massage therapy schools that provide the required curriculum for your massage therapy license. The following is a list of these schools and programs along with their contact information.
Kennebec Valley Community College
92 Western Avenue
Fairfield, ME 04937
Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health
P.O. Box 703
Fairfield, ME 01240
Intercoast Career Institute
207 Gannett Drive #1
S. Portland, ME 04106
Namaste Institute for Holistic Studies
328 Main Street #201
Rockland, ME 04841
Seacoast Career School
1 Eagle Drive
Sanford, ME 04073
Spa Tech Institute
100 Larrabee Road
In order to become a licensed massage therapist in the state of Maine, you will need to fully complete the application and the application process. In addition to your application you will also be asked to submit the following documentation:
- A background check.
- A copy of your high school diploma or an equivalent GED certificate.
- Proof that you took and completed a 500-hour massage therapy classroom and clinical program. Transcripts must be requested from the school that you attended and sent directly to the Board.
- Receive a passing score on the nationally recognized massage therapy exam and provide proof of your score.
- Provide a copy of your current First Aid/CPR certificate.
- Submit a 3”x5” current photo of yourself. This photo must be signed and dated.
- An $86 license fee paid by check to the “Maine State Treasurer”. This fee is nonrefundable and encompasses the following fees:
- $25 application fee
- $40 initial license fee
- $21 background check fee
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
The State of Maine Massage Therapist Board is the primary Board that oversees and governs the licensing process for all who choose to become a massage therapist in the state of Maine. If you would like to contact the Board for any reason, please refer to the following contact information:
Department of Professional & Financial Regulation
Division of Licensing & Enforcement
35 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Maine (Massage Establishment License)
Starting your massage business in Maine takes a lot of initiative and hard work. The state requires you to take several actions, which include some of the following factors:
- Choosing the right business structure
- Writing your business plan
- Creating and registering your business
- Naming your business
- Obtaining tax information and an ID number
- Checking zoning requirements
- Obtaining a business license
Massage License Renewal Process
As the Board has moved toward technological advancements, paper renewal reminders will no longer be mailed out. However, be on the lookout for an email reminder, which makes it very important to keep your contact information on file up to date.
To renew your massage license, you will need to do so online at the following link. After you submit your application, you will be asked to submit a $40 License Fee. If your renewal is late, then a surcharge of $50 will be applied. All renewals will be due annually on the anniversary of the day you obtained your original license.
Massage License Reciprocity
The state of Maine does allow licensure by endorsement, or reciprocity. However, you must meet all of the state’s requirements, including educational, exams and licensing requirements. Providing verification of the licenses you hold or held in other states must also be submitted to the Board for consideration.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Aide
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma