Located in Midwestern America, Kansas is a beautiful state to work and own a massage therapy business in.
Here, you have the opportunity to experience all that America has to offer – beautiful sedimentary rocks and rock formations, great central plains, long quiet rivers and lakes as well as gorgeous national parks and historic sites.
It is no wonder Kansas is a favorite destination for tourists and residents alike. Plus, Kansas is a budding state for massage therapy jobs.
To find out the rules and regulations to become certified and licensed in the state of Kansas, continue reading. Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Kansas.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
Although the state of Kansas does not have a specially designated Massage Therapy Board, the healthcare industry is governed and overseen by the Kansas State Board of Nursing, but there are no set requirements for licensing of a massage therapist in Kansas. Does that mean you have to enroll in a physical therapy school in Kansas instead? Not necessarily either.
The attempt to pass a House Bill regarding state legislature for massage therapy failed, leaving the requirements, scope of practice and other regulations without becoming established. However, there are regulations on becoming educated and taking national examinations to prove that you can operate and understand massage therapy as a whole.
Note: There is no state level licensing for massage in Kansas. Cities across the state can regulate the profession if they choose to do so (for example, the city of Overland Park does)
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
Schooling requirements for massage therapy in the state of Kansas indicate that you must complete at least 500 hours of in-class, supervised instruction at an approved school or massage therapy program. Some of the topics you will and should be exposed to during your schooling include the following:
- Sports Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Swedish Massage
- Clinical Assessment
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Ethics and Business Practices
In addition to your schooling, the state of Kansas requires that you take and pass one of the National Exams. The following are the examinations that you may choose from:
- MBLEx – The Massage & Bodywork Licensing Examination
- NCETMB – The National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork
- NCETM – The National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork
Licensure Qualifying Programs
In the state of Kansas, there are nine approved massage therapy schools and programs that you may choose to attend. Below is a list of these schools and their contact information for your records:
Colby Community College
1255 South Range Avenue
Colby, KS 67701
Butler County Community College
901 South Haverhill
El Dorado, KS 67042
9140 Ward Parkway #100
Kansas City, MO 64114
947 New Hampshire- on 10th St.
Lawrence, KS 66046
Pinnacle Career Institute
1601 West 23rd Street #200
Lawrence, KS 66046
Body & Soul Therapeutics Massage School
353 North Hillside
Wichita, KS 67214
2800 South Rock Road
Wichita, KS 67210
Kansas College of Chinese Medicine
9235 East Harry Street
Wichita, KS 67207
In June of 2013, the state of Kansas attempted to pass a state legislature, known as House Bill 2187. This bill was supposed to set all training requirements, define the scope of practice, provide a Massage Therapy Board and create local regulations in regards to the massage therapy industry of Kansas.
If this bill had been passed, which it was not, all individuals, including you, would need to become licensed by the state under the Kansas State Board of Nursing. There is hope for a new bill to be passed this year to establish these much needed regulations and requirements.
Nonetheless, to receive your practicing license after you have obtained your education, an initial license costs $75 and must be renewed every two years with acceptable amounts of continuing education credits.
You can read about the massage therapy requirements by State here.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
Because the House Bill 2187 was not passed in the state of Kansas, there is no one set agency or board that oversees and governs the massage therapy industry. However, it is the hope of the state that the Kansas State Board of Nursing will take on this responsibility this coming year.
If you would like to contact them, you may refer to the following information:
Landon State Office Building
900 SW Jackson Street Suite 1051
Topeka, Kansas 66612-1230
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Kansas (Massage Establishment License)
Starting your massage therapy business in Kansas can be a time-consuming, yet very rewarding experience. Below are a few of the steps you might and should complete before starting your business:
- Develop a business plan to outline your goals and expectations for your massage business./li>
- Finance your business – check into local banks for loans, ask close friends and relatives and seek out assistance from organizations such as the Small Business Administration.
- Obtain a Kansas state tax identification number.
- Identify payroll needs.
- Hire employees (if you need additional employees).
- File the name of your business with the state of Kansas.
Certainly don’t feel like you have to get into business. There are many massage therapy jobs in Kansas that pay well given the demand in the State.
Massage License Renewal Process
Due to the absence of a governing Massage Therapy Board and set requirements and regulations, the state of Kansas does not have a method of properly renewing your massage therapy license. If the expected new bill is to pass, the renewal process will likely become active.
You generally need to renew your license every 2 years with 12 hours of approved continuing education hours. The renewal fee is $75 that can be paid to the Kansas State Board of Nursing.
Massage License Reciprocity
As it stands, there are no set rules or guidelines for reciprocity in the state of Kansas.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Aide
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling