In the state of Georgia, the Georgia Board of Massage Therapy is mandated under state law to license all individuals who choose to practice massage therapy in the state.
Additionally, the board strives to promote high standards in the professional performance of each person in this industry.
If you are seeking to practice massage therapy in the state of Georgia, then you will be required to undergo certain requirements, education and licensing procedures to obtain a valid license.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Georgia.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
Attending one of the 27 massage schools in Georgia is advisable by the state. If you would like to consider pursuing your education, please take the time to review the approved schools by clicking here.
After you have completed your education, you will be required to pass the NCETMB/NCETM or MBLEx exams to further pursue your massage therapy license. Please also be advised that several rules and regulations have been changed for the state of Georgia, which you should consider reviewing prior to pursuing your license.
Once you have obtained your massage therapy license, please be aware that the renewal period is for every 2 years, and the fee that is charged in this regard is $85. To register your license in the state of Georgia, the fee is $125.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
You will be required to obtain 500 hours of clinical massage training in order to complete your education as an aspiring massage therapist. Also, the completion with a passing grade for the NCETMB/NCETM or MBLEx exams is a must to pass out of the school you are attending. Also be aware that the laws of the state maintain that the presentation of the original academic record is mandatory if an application has been submitted for a massage business.
The fee that registers you for the NCETMB/NCETM is $185. If you happen to fail the exam, this particular fee is non-refundable; however, if you choose to retake the exam, then you must pay the $185 again. For more information regarding schools in the state of Georgia, as well as the NCETMB/NCETM exam, please take the time to click here.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
The following are some highly accredited institutions in the state of Georgia approved for massage therapy education:
- Miller-Motte Technical College 621 NW Frontage Road Augusta, GA 30907 (706)562.5825
- Albany Therapeutic Massage Program 1534 Dawson Rd. Albany, GA 31707 (229)435.9008
- Athens Institute For Massage 485 Huntington Road #205 Athens, GA 30606 (706)353.1819
- Atlanta School of Massage 2 Dunwoody Park Atlanta, GA 30338 (877)291.4485
For more information related to Georgia massage therapy schools, you can follow the link here.
In order to become a massage therapist in the state of Georgia, you will be required to complete the state approved massage course, or you must hold equivalent qualifications. It is also mandatory to have 500 hours of hands on massage therapy experience. In addition to this, the practitioner is also required to pass the NCETMB/NCETM or MBLEx exams that are recognized at the national level
The massage license fee is a one-time fee of $125.
Key Agencies / Boards involved and their contact information
The organization that is responsible for making rules and passing laws for massage practitioners is the Georgia Board of Massage Therapy. You can reach the board at:
237 Coliseum Drive Macon, GA 31217-3858 (478) 207-2440.
You can also check online for any additional information you may be seeking.
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Georgia (Massage Establishment License)
It is clearly stated on the official website of the Georgia Board of Massage Therapy that it is mandatory to obtain a license if an individual wants to run a business in the state. You must submit original academic documents, as well as your scores related to taking the NCETMB/NCETM. Additionally, you must complete 500 hours of training in order to officially obtain a massage therapy license to operate as a business in the state of Georgia.
Aside from the in-state license, the state also allows for a provisional permit for those applicants who do not reside in the state of Georgia. However, to obtain a provisional permit you must present an approved document proving your residency in a differing state; this might include a valid driver’s license. The fee for a provisional permit is $125.
Massage License Renewal Process
The Georgia Board of Massage Therapy has made it very easy for you as a massage therapist to renew your license. To avoid any hassles, the board requires that every massage therapy license renewal be completed by the 31st of October every even year (i.e. if you obtained your massage therapy license in the year of 2014, you will be required to renew that license on October 31st, 2016).
The renewal fee for your license is of $75. Also be aware that even if your massage therapy license has expired (less than 5 years total), then the renewal fee remains the same. However, if your license has expired and it has been over the 5-year mark, then you must reinstate and pay a $200 fee.
Massage License Reciprocity
In order to receive a licensure by endorsement, the following are the conditions and requirements that you will have to meet:
- Provide all supporting documents to the Georgia Board of Massage Therapy in the English language.
- Provide a high school or graduation equivalent diploma.
- Must not have any criminal record.
- Any additional requirements as the Georgia Board of Massage Therapy deems fit.
The endorsement or reciprocity license will cost you a fee of $125.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Aide
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health