The state of Delaware is a unique one when it comes to the massage profession and licensing process. There are two different ways you can become certified as a therapist for practicing here.
The first pathway is what is referred to as the Certified Massage Technicians (CMT), which only requires 300 hours of approved massage education hours. The other pathway is called the Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT), which requires you to obtain at least 500 hours of training at an approved massage therapy school, along with passing required examinations.
Delaware is truly a unique and interesting state to aspire being a trained massage professional. With only 1,057 register practitioners, the competition is slim to none, leaving you with unlimited potential for growth and success.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Delaware.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
Becoming a licensed massage therapist in the state of Delaware takes personal drive and growth. There are several ways you can become licensed, which forces you to choose a career path and stick to it. Whether you are hoping to become a Certified Massage Technician, or a Licensed Massage Therapist, there are certain rules and guidelines you must follow.
In this article you will find in-depth information pertaining to this goal and career of which you have chosen to endure. To find out more information, be sure that you visit this website linked here.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
Depending on which career path you choose to take, the amount of schooling will vary. The following is a brief description of the required in-class and training hours you must receive prior to becoming certified in either massage certification program.
Education Requirements for the Certified Massage Technician (CMT)
To be considered for a certification as a Certified Massage Technician, you must complete 300-hours of course training.
The required 300-hours of massage therapy training must include supervised in-class studies as it applies to the profession. The 300-hour course study must be a “unified introductory training program in massage and bodywork”. These courses must be taken at one school or an approved program.
Education Requirements for the Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT)
In order for you to be considered for licensure as a Licensed Massage Therapist, you must first complete 500 hours of supervised in-class study at an approved school or program.
Coursework will include hands-on technique and contraindications as they relate to the massage and bodywork profession. You can attend more than one school or approved program in order to accumulate all of the required 500 hours. These 500 hours are broken down into the following:
- 100 hours of anatomy and physiology
- 300 hours of technique and theory of massage or bodywork therapy
- 75 hours of elective course in the field of massage therapy
- 25 hours of ethics, law and contraindications
Some of the areas of massage and bodywork education may include the following:
- Chair Massage
- Swedish Massage Therapy
- Deep Tissue Massage Therapy
Licensure Qualifying Programs
The following is a list of several of the approved schools and programs available to you for obtaining massage therapy education. You may utilize this information to contact the institutes regarding any questions or concerns about their curriculum and coursework.
1218 Pulaski Hwy, #324
Bear, DE 19701
33248 Royal Blvd, #A
Dagsboro, DE 19939
97 Commerce Way #105
Dover, DE 19901
3700 Lancaster Pike #105
Wilmington, DE 19805
1601 Milltown Road #15
Wilmington, DE 19808
823 Walnut Shade Road
Woodside, DE 19980
To be considered for a massage therapy license in the state of Delaware, you must be at least 18 years of age. There are several requirements and guidelines for applying, which are listed below:
- Submit your completed, signed and notarized application to the Board of Massage and Bodywork. You can find and print the form by following this link provided. Be sure that you follow all of the instructions on the application very carefully, as there are various documents that must be submitted as well.
- Enclose your non-refundable application processing fee by check or money order made payable to the “State of Delaware”. Depending upon which certification you are pursuing, the application fee will differ. For the Certified Massage Technician and Licensed Massage Therapist, the application fee is $118.
- Complete a Criminal History Record Check form, as well as your fingerprints
- Have your examination scores sent directly to the Board office. You may choose to take either the MBLEx or the NCBTMB examination.
- Enclose a copy of your current CPR certification card
- Submit your Social Security Number
- Submit your official transcripts from the massage school that you attended.
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
The State of Delaware Division of Professional Regulation, Board of Massage and Bodywork is the primary organization that oversees and regulates the massage industry within the state of Delaware.
Its mission is “to ensure the protection of the public’s health, safety and welfare by providing administrative and investigative services that serve the citizens of Delaware.” On the Board are seven members who serve to create and regulate all rules set out for those working in the massage profession.
Six of these members are actual licensed or retired massage therapists, with one member simply representing the public.
If you would like to contact the Board, please feel free to do so:
Cannon Building, Suite 203
861 Silver Lake Blvd.
Dover, DE 19904
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Delaware
Starting your massage business in the state of Delaware can be a time consuming, yet rewarding process. DEDO, the Delaware Economic Development Office, provides resources and mentoring programs to you and others who hope to start their small business in the state of Delaware. Utilizing such resources will help to launch your business further into the success that you have always wanted for your massage therapy practice.
To begin, you will need to become incorporated in Delaware. This means that you will need to form an LLC, LP, LLP, S-Corp, C-Corp or another form of business. To find out more information about incorporating in the state of Delaware, you can visit this link, which will take you to the About Page for Incorporating.
Another important step for starting your massage business is to legally and properly set up the required tax information. You can search through the different tax forms by visiting this webpage through the State of Delaware.
Massage License Renewal Process
You must renew your massage license every 2-years after initially becoming certified. There is an associated $123 renewal fee that you will be required to pay. Every massage and bodywork license expires on August 31st on an even year. Several weeks, or months, prior to your expiration date, the Board will send you a renewal notice mailed to the address on your records. To complete the renewal process, you must do so online by clicking here, and use a credit card to pay your renewal fee.
Aside from applying for renewal, you are required to complete a certain amount of continuing education (CE) hours and maintain a current CPR certification. All continuing education hours must be approved prior to taking them. You can find the form for continuing education approval by clicking this link provided, which will take you to the form.
To submit your request for continuing education approval, you must also include the following forms no later than ten business days before the Board’s meeting to the address provided below:
- A syllabus showing course objectives
- Detailed agenda showing time for each topic
- Resume of the presenter(s)
If you are a Licensed Massage Therapist you must obtain 24 continuing education hours over a 2-year period. For a Certified Massage Technician, you must obtain 12 hours of continuing education over the 2-year period.
State of Delaware – Department of State Division of Professional Regulation
Board of Massage and Bodywork
861 Silver Lake Blvd., Suite 203
Dover, Delaware 19904-2467
Massage License Reciprocity
To apply by reciprocity, you must be currently licensed by another jurisdiction where you have been licensed and practiced continually for two years. You can refer to the procedures for applying by visiting one of the following webpages:
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
We know that you want to learn more than just the basics, so we do things a little differently. Our focus is on you—the student—as a whole. At CMSM you will learn valuable business, life, and communication skills which set you apart from other massage therapists—skills that prepare you to achieve success both professionally and personally.
- Massage Therapy
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- AAS - Occupational Therapy Assistant
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma