The state of Colorado is most known for its alpine mountains, plains and deserts as well as its deep canyons and large rock formations. Here you can escape all of the busy life of a city and indulge in the beautiful surroundings, wilderness and greenery.
As for the massage industry, Colorado is among the best. With only 12,890 individuals working in the state as a professional massage therapist, there is much opportunity to be had here. With an annual mean wage of nearly $37,000, a massage therapist can live comfortably and happy in the state of Colorado.
To begin your journey towards certification here, be aware of the rules and regulations set forth for you to operate and practice by the Office of Massage Therapy Registration. In this article, you will find all of the necessary information you will need to further your education and career as a massage therapist in the state of Colorado.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Colorado.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
In Colorado, there are several rules and regulations you must abide by to become certified as a massage therapist. The Office of Massage Therapy Registration (Division Director) has set forth these regulations for you as an individual to practice by.
As you continue reading, you will find the necessary education guidelines, licensure qualifying programs and requirements that you will need to consider and successfully complete.
All massage related activities do require a certification, so before you can begin your career, be sure you have completely met the below-mentioned requirements.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
To fully meet the education requirements for massage therapy, you must complete a total of 500 hours of in-class instruction as well as training hours. The education that you receive will include coursework involving posture, body systems and hydrotherapy, as well as psychology.
All massage therapy programs at approved schools prepare you as the student to compete for entry-level massage therapy positions. These positions may include clinical or sport settings. Other required coursework will include business ethics for massage therapists, standard business practices, hygiene, first aid and CPR.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
The following is a brief list of some of the approved massage therapy schools in the state of Colorado. To view a complete list of schools, you can visit this website here.
1011 Main Street
Alamosa, CO 81101
350 Blackhawk Street
Aurora, CO 80011
14107 East Exposition Ave.
Aurora, CO 80012
6255 Longbow Drive
Boulder, CO 80301
1 Lovers Lane
Manitou Springs, CO 80829
Applying for your license is one of the most important steps in beginning your practice as a massage therapist.
Colorado has a mandatory practice act, which means that you are not allowed to practice as a massage therapist in the state without Colorado registration. Requirements for registration are all outlined online, which you can visit this website to read these.
To apply for your massage therapy license, you must follow strict rules and guidelines, which have been set by the Office of Massage Therapy Registration. Below are the requirements and documents you must submit prior to receiving your certification:
- A fully completed application returned to the Office of Licensing
- As of January 1, 2009, you are required to submit your Social Security Number; otherwise your application will not be considered for licensing. However, exceptions are made if you are from a foreign country and are not physically present in the United States or do not have a Social Security Number. If this applies to you, then you must submit a signed Social Security Number Affidavit in lieu of a Social Security Number. To do so, please call 303-894-7800 to request that one be mailed to you.
- You must provide a true address and phone number. If any contact information were to change, it is your responsibility to notify the Office of Massage Therapy Registration. You can change your address online by using the Online Services tab, located on this webpage.
- Enclose your non-refundable application fee of $90. This fee may only be paid by a check or money order drawn in United States dollars on a U.S. bank made payable to State of Colorado.
- Provide documentation of any name changes
- Complete the Massage Therapy Fingerprint and Background Check, which you can find instructions at this website.
- Hold a degree, or diploma from an approved massage school
- Pass the MBLEx (Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination) or the NCETMB (National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork)
Send your completed application with supporting documents to the following address:
Colorado Division of Professions and Occupations
Office of Licensing – Massage Therapy
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
The Department of Regulatory Agencies, Division of Professions and Occupations is the governing organization over the massage profession in the state of Colorado. The office is referred to as the Office of Massage Therapy Registration. You can visit their website by following this link provided.
The mission of the Office of Massage Therapy Registration is to protect all consumers who accept treatment from a professional massage therapist. This particular office regulates all individuals who work in this particular industry.
The Division Director, however, does not regulate massage parlors or locations where massage therapy is practiced. This office is authorized to take any disciplinary actions it seems fit under the Massage Therapy Practice Act, Rules and Regulations.
If you would like to contact the Office of Massage Therapy Registration, please consider the following contact information:
Office of Massage Therapist Regulation
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Colorado
The state of Colorado is an exciting one to start your massage business. Here, you will find many resources and organizations that are available to launch your business to success. One helpful resource is that of the Colorado Business Express.
Trained professionals and business mentors work to help you start and file your business in the state legally and promptly. Below are some of the important steps you need to take to correctly begin your massage business in the state of Colorado:
- Establish a Business Entity with the Secretary of State’s Office
- Obtain your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
- File your business with the State of Colorado online – You will need to submit a Colorado Sales Tax Withholding Account Application
Massage License Renewal Process
After you have received your initial massage therapy license, you will be required to renew every 2-years. The renewal fee is $79 and must be submitted along with the appropriate renewal application form, found on this website.
Massage License Reciprocity
For reciprocity in the state of Colorado, you must first apply for registration to practice massage therapy. Additionally, any out-of-state, or out of country education must be approved by the Office of Massage Therapy Registration prior to obtaining your Colorado certification. Fees and background checks may be required as well.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start October 10!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Respiratory Therapy
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions