First of all, Arkansas, also known as “The Natural State”, is one of the most beautiful.
And also, accomplished places in the United States to start and operate a successful massage therapy business.
So here, tourism is one of the state’s most budding and essential industry.
So which includes that of relaxation and serenity.
And also, Arkansas is known for its clear lakes, streams, giant mountains.
And also, low valleys providing your massage business with a beautiful backdrop.
So becoming a massage therapist in this particular state.
So you will find the opportunity and also, income potential is beyond your imagination.
Therefore, the yearly income of an average massage therapist is that of $40,000 and up.
The kicker is the low cost of living.
So why not settle down and enjoy all of the benefits and opportunities.
That the land of Arkansas has to offer you as an aspiring massage therapist?
As well as, you continue reading, you will find out all of the requirements.
As well as the rules and regulations, for working in the therapeutic massage industry in Arkansas.
And also, if you would like to find out more.
So feel free to visit all of the included links and websites within this article.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Arkansas.
Brief Summary of the Main Highlights
And also, in the state of Arkansas, you must become licensed and also, certified before you can practice as a massage therapist.
As well as, an applicant for a massage therapist license.
So you are now required to pass the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx) prior to receiving your certification.
However, the Arkansas State Board of Massage Therapy feels.
That you will be better measured and also, qualified for becoming a successful massage therapist by only taking this exam.
In addition to taking the MBLEx, the state of Arkansas requires you to pass additional examinations.
So to obtain a standard education and practice under certain guidelines and regulations.
And also, if you would like to find out more about the Arkansas State Board of Massage Therapy rules and regulations.
So you may visit their website by following the link provided here.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
Furthermore, the general requirements for acquiring your massage therapy schooling are set by the Arkansas State Board of Massage Therapy.
Because these rules and regulations are simple, but you must successfully complete.
And also, obtain a certain amount of schooling prior to receiving your certification.
And also, if you have received your massage therapy schooling outside of the state of Arkansas.
So then the Board must accept and approve your training hours.
The program that you attended must include in-classroom instruction and also, meet the same required in-state school rules set by the Board.
In the state of Arkansas, to be considered eligible for clinical practice.
And also, you must complete the following requirements:
- So successfully complete one hundred (100) hours of anatomy, physiology, pathology, and contraindications for massage therapy.
- In addition, the Board requires you to complete another one hundred (100) hours of technical training.
- Technical training includes personal hygiene, sanitation, ethics and also, professional standards as they apply to your massage therapy licensure.
- And also, you must have on file at the school you attend, a recently issued statement declaring.
- That you are in good health and have tested negatively for tuberculosis.
- Have student liability insurance and provide proof thereof.
MSTI – Massage Therapy School Requirements in Arkansas
All of your hands-on, clinical style massage courses must be met and supervised by a qualified instructor.
And also, you must have no more than fifty-hours of student massage to meet this particular requirement.
Total, the Arkansas State Board of Massage Therapy requires you to obtain 500 in-class hours of education credits.
After you have completed this requirement.
And also, you may then take the MBLEx to further reach your goal of becoming a licensed Arkansas Massage Therapist.
The following is a breakdown of the exact hours you must obtain:
- 175 hours of anatomy, physiology, pathology and contraindications of massage therapy;
- 25 hours of hydrotherapy, electrotherapy and heliotherapy;
- 25 hours of hygiene and infection control;
- 225 hours of technique;
- 25 hours of massage therapy law, business management, and professional ethics; and
- 25 hours of related subjects as approved by the Board.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
And also, the following information is a partial list of some of the approved massage therapy schools available to you in the state of Arkansas.
Take the time to contact and research these schools before you make a decision as to which one you would like to attend.
For additional school listings, you can visit this website.
1212 Military Road, Suite D
Benton, AR 72015
A touch of Health (website is in the process)
School of Massage & Bodywork
Camden, AR 71711
Northwest Arkansas School of Massage
3-A Dogwood Ridge
Eureka Springs, AR 72632
2503 Hiram Davis Place
Fayetteville, AR 72703
1211 W. James Street
Fayetteville, AR 72703
2120 South Waldron Road, Suite 306C
Fort Smith, AR 72903
So once you have taken and successfully passed the MBLEx.
And also, the Arkansas State Board of Massage Therapy deems you as better-qualified and ready to finish pursuing your licensure.
In addition to taking the MBLEx, you must also pass the Arkansas Law Exam and also, a 150 question written text covering anatomy and physiology.
Because this particular test includes multiple-choice questions, true/false questions and also, matching exercises.
Which incorporate massage anatomy charts.
After your schooling and exams are successfully completed.
So you may then apply for your massage therapy license.
To access the application along with the instructions for applying.
So you may visit this website, which includes a printable version of the application.
The following are the instructions and requirement for applying for your massage therapy license in the state of Arkansas:
- And also, you must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Meet all qualifications set forth in the Arkansas Massage Therapy Act.
- Which can be found by following this link provided.
- So have a High School Degree or a GED
- Be medically tested and determined free of infectious tuberculosis (TB)
- Submit to a criminal background check with the results sent directly to the Arkansas State Board of Massage Therapy from the issuing agency.
- Complete 500 hours of in-classroom coursework from a Board-approved massage therapy school.
- And also, if you graduated from an out-of-state massage therapy school.
- So then you must meet the required schooling regulations and also, submit your transcripts to the Board.
- Pass the MBLEx and the Arkansas Massage Therapy Law examinations.
Along with your application, you must also submit the following required documents to the Arkansas State Board of Massage Therapy:
- And also, your completed application for licensure
- $180 Cashier’s Check or Money Order
- A Valid Photo ID – this may include your driver’s license.
- A state-issued ID card, passport or US Military ID
- A copy of your Social Security Card
- A copy of your High School Diploma and/or Transcripts, College Diploma and/or Transcripts, or your GED
- TB Test results on an official letterhead from a qualified medical doctor (excluding Chiropractors)
- Massage School Diploma
- Massage School Transcript
- MBLEx or NCBTMB exam Score Report
- Criminal Background Check
And also, to receive a criminal background check, please contact or visit the Arkansas State Police Headquarters.
The following is the contact information that you will need:
Arkansas State Police Headquarters
1 State Police Plaza Drive
Little Rock, AR 72209
To mail in your completed application.
Along with the above-mentioned required documents, you may send it to:
Arkansas State Board of Massage Therapy (ASBMT)
P.O. Box 2019
Little Rock, AR 72203
Key Agencies/Boards involved and their contact information
And also, the Arkansas State Board of Massage Therapy is a main governing organization that oversees and regulates the massage industry in the state of Arkansas alone.
Because this Board was created to upgrade the standards of practice and education for those, including you.
Who wish to pursue a massage therapy practice in the state of Arkansas.
This Board consists of seven members.
So who are all appointed by the Governor for a term of three years.
Six of these members are actually licensed massage therapists under the Arkansas chapter.
And also, only one is an owner of a massage therapy school.
Additionally, one of these members represents the general public as a whole and does not engage in any massage therapy actions.
So if you would like to contact the Arkansas State Board of Massage Therapy or any reason, feel free to consider the following:
101 East Capitol Avenue, Suite 206
P.O. Box 2019
Little Rock, AR 72203
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Arkansas
And also, starting a massage therapy business in Arkansas is quite easy.
Firstly, begin by visiting the Arkansas Business Center for further assistance.
As well as an entrepreneur you are required to pay and submit to the county, city and state tax laws.
To find out more, visit this link provided for you.
Additionally, you will need to decide.
Whether you would like to operate as a sole proprietorship, a partnership or a corporation.
So whatever you decide upon.
Be sure that you understand the tax information associated with each entity.
For further information regarding starting your own business in the state of Arkansas, you can read about it here.
Massage License Renewal Process
In order for you to renew your massage therapy license in the state of Arkansas.
So you must complete eighteen (18) hours of Continuing Education (CE) hours.
Additionally, you must also fully complete and return the renewal application along with all required CE documentation.
And also, the renewal application can be found by following this link provided for you.
So if your application is not completed in full.
So then it will be returned to you and also, you may be subjected to late fees or penalties deemed necessary by the Board.
As for the required Continuing Education hours.
So you must submit and approve them by the Arkansas State Board of Massage Therapy.
And also, if you have any Continuing Education courses that require approval.
So please visit this webpage where you can find the Continuing Education Provider Application and Request form.
And also, for renewal, you are not required to submit a tuberculosis test.
However, you are required to pay the Board a renewal fee of $80 as a Cashier’s Check or Money Order ONLY, payable to ASBMT.
Practising without a renewed license is against the law and if you do so.
So you may be subject to penalties and fines as assessed by the Board.
Massage License Reciprocity
And also, if you are an out-of-state applicant and hold a current massage therapy license issued by another state and after receiving an Arkansas massage therapy license.
Then you may apply for an upgrade to master massage therapist or massage therapy instructor by providing appropriate continuing education credits.
Note: Specific personal information, office addresses, fees, payments etc.
May change over time.
Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you.
And also, we have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE.
Lastly, please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Nursing Field
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future
- Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!