In the state of Alabama, there are only 1,400 registered massage therapists. As it stands, Alabama is a very friendly place to start and operate a massage business. In this article, we will discuss the main highlights, schooling and requirements that it takes to obtain your license as a professional practitioner of massage in the sweet home state of Alabama.
Scroll straight to the bottom to see a list of the top massage therapy schools in Alabama.
Summary of the Main Highlights
Like other state in the USA, Alabama also has its own massage therapy board, known as the Alabama Board of Massage Therapy. In order to become a massage therapist, you must apply for registration with an associated fee of $25.
The state requires all professionals who own and advertise a massage business to register with the Alabama Board of Massage Therapy. If you choose to pursue your massage therapy license, then you must file a completed registration application along with the submission of personal liability insurance totaling $100,000.
Schooling Details and Requirements (Credit Hours)
In order to acquire the required amount of education for your massage therapy license, you must have a minimum of 650 hours in course work and hands on training. All applicants are required to pass the National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage and Body Work prior to graduating.
Passing the NCETMB exam proves to the board that you have passed all the necessary requirements. After the exam has been taken, scores should be sent to the Alabama Board of Massage Therapy to be put on file.
If you would like to find out more information on this topic, be sure to visit the Alabama Board of Massage Therapy website by clicking here.
Licensure Qualifying Programs
In the state of Alabama, only 20 massage therapy schools and institutions offer approved programs. The leading institutions are as follows, with associated contact information:
- Lurleen B. Wallace Community College Andalusia Campus 1000 Dannelly Boulevard PO Box 1418 Andalusia, AL 36420 (334)222.6591.
- Birmingham School of Massage 1776 Independence Court, #202 Birmingham, AL 35216 (866)414.1477
- Virginia College 488 Palisades Boulevard Birmingham, AL 35209 (877)213.7589
- Calhoun Community College Decatur AL 35609 (800)626.3628
- Massage Therapy Institute 1408 5th Ave. SE, #3 Decatur, AL 35601 (256) 306.0444
You can view the complete list of approved institutes by visiting the official website here.
If you are pursuing a career in massage therapy in the state of Alabama, then the licensing requirements are as follows:
- Submission of $25 as application charges or fee.
- Presenting a certificate that required massage course hours have been completed with a minimum of 650 course and training hours.
- Passing of the Therapeutic Massage and Body Work exam.
- Personal liability insurance with coverage of $100,000.
Key Agencies / Boards involved and their contact information
The organization that is responsible for overseeing the massage therapy industry in the state of Alabama is the Alabama Board of Massage Therapy. The address of the board is as follows:
2777 Zelda Rd. Montgomery, AL 36106 Tel: (334)420.7233 or 866.873.4664
Alternatively, if you choose to contact the board by email, you can also visit the page by clicking here.
Requirements to Start a Massage Business in Alabama (Massage Establishment License)
The requirements to receive a license to work as a massage therapist in Alabama are quite simple. You are required to possess a massage therapy license as well as a personal liability insurance totaling $100,000. Your transcripts along with the certificate should be presented to the Alabama Board of Massage Therapy to be verified.
Massage License Renewal Process
According to the set codes and laws by the Alabama Board of Massage Therapy, each license should be renewed before the anniversary of the established business. The following are the requirements set for renewing your massage therapy license:
- A complete renewal application.
- Renewal fee of $100.
- A form stating that the therapist has continued his or her education, with a minimum of 16 course hours.
- Copy of personal liability insurance clearly stating the amount.
Any license that has not been renewed prior to the business anniversary will be considered expired. The Alabama Board of Massage Therapy has set a 2-year renewal time frame for every massage therapy license. All late applications are charged $25 and $100 for the license renewal fee in addition to that.
Massage License Reciprocity
If you have graduated from a school or any institution that is recognized by the Alabama Board of Massage Therapy, then your application for reciprocity should and will be accepted.
If you run a massage therapy business in a state other than Alabama, then you are at liberty to obtain a massage therapy license in Alabama for $150. If you are in good standing with the state requirements, then you will not be required to take a qualifying exam, as you have already demonstrated the necessary skills to operate a successful business. However, if you feel taking the exam would benefit you as a professional, then by all means you may take the National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage and Body Work.
For a full list of massage schools in Alabama, visit our school directory here.
Note: Specific personnel information, office addresses, fees, payments etc. may change over time. Although we do our best to keep this site up to date, please ensure you contact the state board to obtain the most recent information at the time of your application.
Here is a list of the top massage therapy schools near you. We have an arrangement with all of them that allow you to request information for FREE. Please do so and take that first step toward a better future.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (AS)
- Respiratory Therapy
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- AAS - Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling